Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lijjys

Front door ideas

lijjys
17 years ago

I have two large containers flanking my front door. I brought home some boxwood yesterday (intending to plant some trailing plants, like bacopa around the edges); however, now that I have set them in the containers, I realize the proportion is off and they just don't look right. (See pics.) Does anyone have any suggestions for plant material that might look nice here? It is a brightly lit, but shady location, receiving a little late afternoon sun. Thanks!

{{gwi:15579}}

{{gwi:15580}}

{{gwi:15581}}

Comments (10)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    17 years ago

Very attractive entrance! But my first impression (judging only by the photographs, which can be misleading) is that you might be a bit crowded with those two large containers flanking the door. Am I mistaken about that? You don't want to force people to 'que up' single file when ringing on your doorbell. ;-) Or to reach around a plant to ring, either.

Rather, you could put the containers on either side of the stairs, and visually extend your 'Welcome To Our Home' to that location.

Anyway, what gorgeous containers! I agree that the boxwood seems a little squatty in there, darn it. You probably need something a bit taller and with a strongly pyramidal shape. You could even go with topiary, if you like that kind of thing. We would need to know your location to be helpful in recommending plant material, so that cold and/or heat tolerance can be considered.

• lijjys
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the feedback! I am in N. Calif. (zone 9b). I guess the photos might be a bit misleading as it doesn't feel that crowded in person; however, it might be worth a try to move the pots to the stairs and try something else to fill up that empty area near the door...benches and smaller pots along the side perhaps?

• highalttransplant
    17 years ago

I'd like to 2nd Rhizo's advice about moving the planters to the stairs. Up against the entryway, they make it seem a bit crowded. The other thing I would suggest is to use plants that soften the hard lines of the doorway and rectangular planters, something with rounded or lacey foliage, or with a relaxed overall form, not boxey (sp?).

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    17 years ago

If there is no direct exposure to open sky immediately above the area in which you intend to establish the plantings, I believe you will have issues with light levels in the spot you have chosen. Even if there is, it appears that you may well be limited to shade-tolerant plant material.

Al

• daphnexduck
    17 years ago

I agree that you might want to place your plants closer to the steps. I'd like to see a large rug in front of your door to warm up the area, and maybe a decorate wreath on the door. Perhaps some decorative iron wall hanging, or even a painting if the area is protected enough.

If you really want plants close to the door, I'd put something with colorful blooms that could be changed with the season like primroses, cyclamen, mums. A hanging fern might be nice in a corner.

Daphne in Tacoma

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    17 years ago

I like the idea of a narrow bench along one side, lijjys! That would be a great seasonal decorating feature, too, wouldn't it? I can see pumpkins and mums spilling over. You'd HAVE to sit something scary on it for Halloween. ;-)

• Mike Larkin
    17 years ago

The entance needs some color. The containers definetly from a horticultural standpoint will do much better near the daylight, unless you plan to use artificial plants. And you would have a better choice of plant material. The amount of space near the front door with the containers present is cramped. Moving them opens the area up. Use a decorative door mat or as suggested outdoor rug. Or maybe something on the door. The color scheme is white and gray - with brass on the lights. It does not have to be loud primary colors - maybe introduce a light purple - or what ever you like. The plants in the containers could pick up the colors of the rug or whatever you use. Maybe a color that you have used in the foyer. The front door should say WELCOME COME IN.
    It is a beautiful house maybe just a little color- My 2 cents

Mike

• olcia
    16 years ago

I agree. Although it looks very nice you should warm it up a little bit. Maybe a colourful doormat would help you.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    16 years ago

I would move them out to the corners near the posts and plant Coleonema, gold colored variety. It would look good all year plus have nice tiny flowers in the spring. Anyone brushing against it would enjoy the fragrance of "Breath of Heaven" any time of the year. Al

• olcia
    14 years ago

Have you change your front doors already?

Here is a link that might be useful: door mats