Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angie83_gw

great selfwatering containers

angie83
13 years ago

I love these they made out of milk jugs and work great for almost all herbs .And best of all they can be moved up away from cats hehehehe,

Angie

{{gwi:15944}}

{{gwi:15945}}

{{gwi:15946}}

{{gwi:15947}}

{{gwi:15948}}

Comments (10)

• jwahlton
    13 years ago

Well how clever!

• monet_g
    13 years ago

Interesting, Angie. Could you please explain exactly how you created them? How is the zip tie used and what is the retangular item just below the hole? Did you paint them or is that the soil?
    Thanks,

• noinwi
    13 years ago

Looks like the area below the hole was masked when painted so the water level could be seen(JMG). Nice tidy set-up.

• angie83
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sure they easy first I burn holes theni use tie raps to hold top to bottem and I put a piece of tape before I paint to keep that clear so I can see water level I use spray paint.

{{gwi:15949}}

{{gwi:15950}}

Here is cilantro in same kind of pots just painted .

{{gwi:15951}}

{{gwi:15953}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Dont throw that away 2#

• jwahlton
    13 years ago

Where do you put the wick? How do you water them thru that hole?

• angie83
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry I didnt explain it well the wick should go in hole into the bottem reservir and you should have half the wick in the water the hole in side is the overflow so that the roots wont sit in water I water from this hole more than top .Hope this helps you out hon its super easy and I do fert them every 2 weeks.In pic you can see i made my wicks out of a mop I got from dollar store.The wick pretty much acts like a straw to feed water to the plant up top I did add potting soil and grew my herbs from seed its better for them.

{{gwi:15954}}

{{gwi:15955}}

{{gwi:15956}}

• angie83
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The rectangle is the clear spot so I can see how much water is in the jug I put tape on before I spray paint the milk jug then I just remove the tape to the milk jug which is clear so I can see how much water is in with wick it should never be empty I burn the holes with a soldering iron and do all holes and tie wraps before I paint .Then add wick about half in bottem and half up top then use my soil and add my seeds i water from top about 1 time a week all other time i use the over flow hole to water .This is great for all herbs and lettuce too .Last year I grew lettuce in these was great.{{gwi:15957}}

Angie

• jwahlton
    13 years ago

Sorry, one more question. Are you using a cotton mop head?

• angie83
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yep I got it at dollar store cheap post your pics when ya get them going .
    Angie

• jane__ny
    13 years ago

What a great way to recycle! Plus you get veggies and herbs. How ingenious of you.

Jane