Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
great selfwatering containers

Posted by angie83 9 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 28, 11 at 22:54

I love these they made out of milk jugs and work great for almost all herbs .And best of all they can be moved up away from cats hehehehe,
Angie

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: great selfwatering containers

Well how clever!

o

Interesting, Angie. Could you please explain exactly how you created them? How is the zip tie used and what is the retangular item just below the hole? Did you paint them or is that the soil?
Thanks,

o

Looks like the area below the hole was masked when painted so the water level could be seen(JMG). Nice tidy set-up.

o

Sure they easy first I burn holes theni use tie raps to hold top to bottem and I put a piece of tape before I paint to keep that clear so I can see water level I use spray paint.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Here is cilantro in same kind of pots just painted .

Photobucket

Photobucket

Here is a link that might be useful: Dont throw that away 2#

o

Where do you put the wick? How do you water them thru that hole?

o

Sorry I didnt explain it well the wick should go in hole into the bottem reservir and you should have half the wick in the water the hole in side is the overflow so that the roots wont sit in water I water from this hole more than top .Hope this helps you out hon its super easy and I do fert them every 2 weeks.In pic you can see i made my wicks out of a mop I got from dollar store.The wick pretty much acts like a straw to feed water to the plant up top I did add potting soil and grew my herbs from seed its better for them.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

The rectangle is the clear spot so I can see how much water is in the jug I put tape on before I spray paint the milk jug then I just remove the tape to the milk jug which is clear so I can see how much water is in with wick it should never be empty I burn the holes with a soldering iron and do all holes and tie wraps before I paint .Then add wick about half in bottem and half up top then use my soil and add my seeds i water from top about 1 time a week all other time i use the over flow hole to water .This is great for all herbs and lettuce too .Last year I grew lettuce in these was great.Photobucket

Angie

o

Sorry, one more question. Are you using a cotton mop head?

o

Yep I got it at dollar store cheap post your pics when ya get them going .
Angie

o

What a great way to recycle! Plus you get veggies and herbs. How ingenious of you.

Jane

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here