Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
modified gritty mix for fabric (ground wicking) containers?

Posted by hairmetal4ever Z7 MD (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 12, 14 at 23:17

I might end up using fabric pots (Smart Pots) for many of the tree seedlings I'm growing. Since fabric pots are porous and mine will be in touch with the ground, they will not have the PWT issues that a standard container will.

However, I like the gritty mix idea as it's more "permanent" and does not degrade over time...and some of these plants might be in containers long enough to justify using the gritty mix (being up-potted of course to bigger smart pots).

However, lots of evidence says the standard gritty mix would drain and dry too fast with ground contact.

So I thought...how could I modify it?

My first thought, use sharp sand instead of the crushed granite. But then I ran out of ideas.

Sharp Sand, Peat, and maybe still use the Turface in a 1-1-1??

Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: modified gritty mix for fabric (ground wicking) containers?

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 12, 14 at 23:26

I'd skip the gritty for that application and go with something that holds more water, is cheaper, and easier to make - like maybe 5:3:1, screened bark: unscreened Turface: peat. It doesn't make sense to go through the effort/expense to make the gritty mix if you're not going to, or in this case - NEED to, tap into all it has to offer.

Al

o
RE: modified gritty mix for fabric (ground wicking) containers?

I'm just so confused by all this. I totally "get" the concept of PWT and why it's an issue, but I also know that fabric pots have ground wicking the moisture out - what I *don't* want to have happen is this...

I water my plants (in the fabric pots) at 7:00 when I leave for work, and come home at 5 and they're already wilted from summer heat and sun.

I *almost* had that happen even with MG mix last summer a couple times!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here