Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosefool

JM fertilizer

I will start by apologizing for asking a question that has been asked so many times before. I have been wading through some of the info on the topic of fertilizing JMs in containers, and am simultaneously amazed and overwhelmed by the expertise on this forum. If a few of you would indulge this novice JM grower, I would be grateful. My question is about what and when to feed.

I have a Red Dragon in a 14" pot, about 3.5 feet tall, planted into container from nursery last Nov. in Fertilome Ultimate Potting Mix with about 50% extra Perlite added. So, it's growing in peat with lots of Perlite. The Fertilome is quite moisture retentive, as some of you may know. It is just now leafing out.

I grow antique roses and various other things, and have great results using primarily two fertilizers on everything: Yum Yum Mix is a granular organic 2-1-1, and Neptune's Harvest fish/seaweed. Sometimes I add extra alfalfa, especially for my roses, or some good compost. Would any of this be a good idea for my JM? I prefer to use organics, but am not fanatical about it.

I should emphasize that I live in broiling hot central Texas, and though this tree will grow in AM sun only, it will still need to be watered a lot--probably daily for several months. Does this increase the need for fertilizer?

I love JMs, but this first tree is necessarily a bit of a trial, because I do not have the best conditions. Any advice is welcome, because I really want to succeed with my Red Dragon so I can buy more!

Rosefool/Karen

Comments (3)