Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
JM fertilizer

Posted by rosefool z8a TX (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 16, 12 at 23:21

I will start by apologizing for asking a question that has been asked so many times before. I have been wading through some of the info on the topic of fertilizing JMs in containers, and am simultaneously amazed and overwhelmed by the expertise on this forum. If a few of you would indulge this novice JM grower, I would be grateful. My question is about what and when to feed.

I have a Red Dragon in a 14" pot, about 3.5 feet tall, planted into container from nursery last Nov. in Fertilome Ultimate Potting Mix with about 50% extra Perlite added. So, it's growing in peat with lots of Perlite. The Fertilome is quite moisture retentive, as some of you may know. It is just now leafing out.

I grow antique roses and various other things, and have great results using primarily two fertilizers on everything: Yum Yum Mix is a granular organic 2-1-1, and Neptune's Harvest fish/seaweed. Sometimes I add extra alfalfa, especially for my roses, or some good compost. Would any of this be a good idea for my JM? I prefer to use organics, but am not fanatical about it.

I should emphasize that I live in broiling hot central Texas, and though this tree will grow in AM sun only, it will still need to be watered a lot--probably daily for several months. Does this increase the need for fertilizer?

I love JMs, but this first tree is necessarily a bit of a trial, because I do not have the best conditions. Any advice is welcome, because I really want to succeed with my Red Dragon so I can buy more!

Rosefool/Karen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: JM fertilizer

Almost forgot! I just got some Mycorrhizae, I have both a granular and soluble. Can I use that on my container JM?

Thanks.

Rosefool/Karen

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 17, 12 at 12:02

The inoculant won't hurt, but it may not help, either. I'm in the middle of repotting now, and I have at least 20 JMs in various stages of development. Some are potted trees & some are going to be bonsai. This is my favorite tree (we often refer to clump or grove compositions in the singular)
Maple - clump style

Your soil and watering habits probably have greater potential to be limiting than fertilizer choice, but both are important. I really like soluble synthetic ferts for all my trees. It allows me virtually complete control over nutrition and I know EXACTLY what's available and when. I use Foliage-Pro 9-3-6 for my maples. In combination with a free-draining and well-aerated soil, it's almost foolproof.

Did you read the thread about 'trees in containers'? I'm in the middle of repotting season & don't have a lot of time right now, but it does cover almost all the basics you need to keep trees healthy in containers.

Al

Here is a link that might be useful: Click me for more about trees in containers ....

o

Thank you, Al. The thread about trees in containers is excellent. I have never understood root pruning, but your explanation is very clear, and almost makes it sound easy!

The bonsai maple is beautiful; which maple is i, and how old is it?

Karen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here