Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Using Polyurethane to seal wood containers

Posted by jab287 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 20, 12 at 23:22

I think I know the answer to this question, but looking for extra insight. I built several garden boxes out of Pine (12x36x11). I used Polyurethane (common wood-floor sealant) to seal the outside of the boxes and prevent rot.
The boxes will be used to grow vegetables. Can I use Polyurethane on the inside of the boxes or will this this result in toxic produce (tomatoes etc)?

Or is it advisable to use polyurethane on the inside and then cover with weed barrier/landscape fabric? I have received conflicting advice. Gardenguides.com has a post suggesting its ok to use Poly inside wood containers. Any input appreciated

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Guides.com

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Using Polyurethane to seal wood containers

I don't think it would make any difference to the plants. A pine wood box needs protection from the constant water and I don't think poly is the best for this. Your box would rot away pretty fast. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here