Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Substitute course perlite for turface?

Posted by edweather 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 30, 12 at 23:42

I read a post recently on this but can't find it again. Can I substitute course screened perlite for turface in the gritty mix? I only need a little gritty mix and I have the perlite on hand. Do I have to alter the 1:1:1 ratio? Does perlite retain less water? Thanks. Ed.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Substitute course perlite for turface?

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 31, 12 at 11:41

Perlite has no internal porosity. As a consequence, it holds much less water than Turface. on a size for size basis, perlite is closer to a substitute for granite than Turface MVP/Allsport.

Perlite holds much less water than Turface and considerably more water than granite. Particle size is important, so you would probably have to have found the course horticultural grade of perlite for it to be suitable as a sub for granite.

Where do you live? You can substitute NAPA floor dry for Turface if you have to.

Al

o
RE: Substitute course perlite for turface?

Al thanks for the clarification. I must have read that post wrong. Yeah, I didn't think that perlite was very water retentive. I have the Turface or the NAPA floor dry available.....or even the Carquest floor dry. Anybody ever try the Walmart floor dry? I was hoping that I could possibly avoid buying ANOTHER large bag of stuff. Well, I gusss there's always room for 1 more bag. Thanks again :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here