Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dapper_gw

Container trellises or stakes for garden veggies. pics please

dapper
13 years ago

I would love to see pictures of how you folks are staking or trellising tomatoes, cucumbers, watermelon, cantalopes, squash, or pumpkins from your containers.

I have a ton of round tomato cages I used in my old raised beds. I would love to be able to use these in containers but they do need to be anchored down somehow.

Comments (5)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    13 years ago

That issue was easy for me - I slip the cages into the pots, then secure the top of the cage to a chain link fence. You could do the same by stretching any type of fabric fencing between 2 or more posts & then attaching the cages to the fencing. There is no danger of anything toppling, either.

{{gwi:3275}}

Al

• jane__ny
    13 years ago

I used black deer netting between my deck rails. I grew my tomatoes in pots on the ground and tied the tomatoes to stakes, bird-netting and the deck, itself.

If you look between the rails, on the left side, you might see the deer netting. This is a moon flower and morning glory vine.
    {{gwi:16595}}

Here's another shot. This vine is growing from a pot on the ground, climbing up the deer netting.
    {{gwi:16597}}

This photo shows so many plants, but you can see the tomatoes with stakes and there is deer netting between the deck rails. I tied tomato branches directly to the deck. I used heavy metal stakes which had green plastic coating.

{{gwi:16599}}

Not terribly creative, but it worked and didn't look too ugly.

Jane

• dapper
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I was actually thinking of taking rebar and drive 2 rods per container (either tote or 5 gal bucket), then attaching the tomato cage to them. I just wanted to see what others are doing, maybe use soome other ideas.

• jodik_gw
    13 years ago

I don't have any photos to show, but I use cut pieces of pig panel fencing to secure what amounts to free-standing trellising to. In other words, if there's no fence to attach the tomato cage to, I have tall pieces of free-standing fence made from pig panel sections. The pig panel piece gets stuck into the ground on legs that we've left intact, and I loosely tie the tomato cage to it.

Luckily, I have 4 raised beds that are fenced in, and the corners are fairly close to the fencing... close enough for vining plants to grow toward and then onto them.

• ykerzner
    13 years ago

Crape-myrtle sticks or pampas grass canes, driven into the containers, two at a time. I also build my own mega-trellis constructions with twine and branches for vining plants.