Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Container trellises or stakes for garden veggies. pics please

Posted by dapper 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 6, 11 at 23:47

I would love to see pictures of how you folks are staking or trellising tomatoes, cucumbers, watermelon, cantalopes, squash, or pumpkins from your containers.

I have a ton of round tomato cages I used in my old raised beds. I would love to be able to use these in containers but they do need to be anchored down somehow.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Container trellises or stakes for garden veggies. pics please

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 7, 11 at 14:51

That issue was easy for me - I slip the cages into the pots, then secure the top of the cage to a chain link fence. You could do the same by stretching any type of fabric fencing between 2 or more posts & then attaching the cages to the fencing. There is no danger of anything toppling, either.

Photobucket

Al

o

I used black deer netting between my deck rails. I grew my tomatoes in pots on the ground and tied the tomatoes to stakes, bird-netting and the deck, itself.

If you look between the rails, on the left side, you might see the deer netting. This is a moon flower and morning glory vine.
Moon Flower & Morning Glory

Here's another shot. This vine is growing from a pot on the ground, climbing up the deer netting.
Photobucket

This photo shows so many plants, but you can see the tomatoes with stakes and there is deer netting between the deck rails. I tied tomato branches directly to the deck. I used heavy metal stakes which had green plastic coating.

Photobucket

Not terribly creative, but it worked and didn't look too ugly.

Jane

o

I was actually thinking of taking rebar and drive 2 rods per container (either tote or 5 gal bucket), then attaching the tomato cage to them. I just wanted to see what others are doing, maybe use soome other ideas.

o

I don't have any photos to show, but I use cut pieces of pig panel fencing to secure what amounts to free-standing trellising to. In other words, if there's no fence to attach the tomato cage to, I have tall pieces of free-standing fence made from pig panel sections. The pig panel piece gets stuck into the ground on legs that we've left intact, and I loosely tie the tomato cage to it.

Luckily, I have 4 raised beds that are fenced in, and the corners are fairly close to the fencing... close enough for vining plants to grow toward and then onto them.

o

Crape-myrtle sticks or pampas grass canes, driven into the containers, two at a time. I also build my own mega-trellis constructions with twine and branches for vining plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here