Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
queensinfo

What kind of plant is this?

queensinfo
11 years ago

Bought at a farmers market last spring with little pink flowers. Trying to figure out what it is to get it to flower again. The leaves feel a little like a succulent. It is planted in gritty mix.
Any thoughts? Jade family? The leaves are thin and shiny.

Comments (8)

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

The leaves look like a Kalanchoe to me...not sure; here is one of mine-bigger plant, but do you think the leaves are same/similar?
    Rina

This post was edited by rina_ on Fri, Mar 22, 13 at 0:53

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

here is one with yellow flowers, they come in many colors. Were the flowers similar?

• queensinfo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The leaves look more like your second picture, I don't remember the flowers exactly, the plant was tiny when bought

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    11 years ago

Agree - Kalanchoe ..... one in need of a good measure of additional light, btw.

Al

• queensinfo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It lost a lot of leaves over the winter and is pretty leggy. Can i prune back those long branches? I think it was a little drafty where this plant had been. The christmas cactus (or easter cactus, i never remember which) rihgt next to it has been pretty happy. On this one, the leaves were turning yellow and then drying up. also, hadn't been fertilized in a long while but i dropped in some osmocote recently. i am gonig to be ordering foliage pro this weekend.

Anything else special in caring for this plant?

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    11 years ago

It tolerates being allowed to dry down to where you can't feel moisture in the soil much better than it tolerates WET soil.

I make a habit of pruning my leafy plants like Kalanchoe back hard in late May or early June. Here's why - if you allow the leggy growth that comes with the dark days of winter to remain on the plant, you get these long, unsightly internodes, followed by nice tight internodes that grow under high light. Pruning them ALL off will get you all the way back to last years tight nodes, then everything that grows AFTER the pruning is tight, too. I treat jades, portulacaria, and anything leafy the same way - it ensures a nice compact plant with lots of fresh foliage each summer.

That plant will love the gritty or 5:1:1 mix, or a really chunky soil that doesn't support that soggy layer at the bottom of the container. They like soluble fertilizers with a 3:1:2 ratio, like MG 24-8-16 or 12-4-8, or Foliage-Pro 9-3-6, which is what I prefer for almost every plant I grow.

Al

• queensinfo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks al. I guess in another month or so I will start to cut it back. Right now there are only a handful of leaves on top.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

They grow very easily either from the leaves or from cuttings - here is photo of stem I was about to discard, but started to grow leaves & roots...so in the pot it will go.
    Rina