Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cheap Potting Soil For Kid's Project

Posted by GardenOnWheels Illinois (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 10, 11 at 0:20

Hi,
I just built a garden box on wheels to introduce my son to gardening. It�s on wheels because it�s in the parking lot/common area behind our condo and people need to be able to move it out of the way for parties and stuff. It�s about 5-ft x 3.5-ft. We�re excited about it but we have a problem. I can�t afford to buy the amount of potting soil I would need to fill it and I�m afraid to dig up soil from some forest preserve or park for fear that the soil would be contaminated (not to mention doing that is unethical and maybe illegal).
Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cheap Potting Soil For Kid's Project

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 10, 11 at 10:41

Welcome to the forum GoW - It's hard to know how to interpret someones commentary, so I'll ask you not to think I'm talking down to you. I'm anxious to see that you get all you can out of your foray into container gardening and help you along the way toward success.

It's helpful to understand the very significant differences between container culture and gardening in the earth. If you read the original post & the subsequent conversations if you like) at the thread I'll link you to below, I think you'll have a much greater chance for a effort:reward quotient that leaves you feeling satisfied. You'll also see a recipe for a soil (the 5:1:1 mix) toward the end of the post that, in the long run, should cost about half as much to make, as a commercially prepared potting soil based on peat would be to buy. It has the additional benefit of being much easier to grow in, AND of providing a much wider margin for grower error in the areas of watering and fertilizing.

There are a lot of good people here, most of them very enthusiastic, that carry a positive message and are willing to help you. I'm sure we all hope you stick around a while. ;-)

Al

Here is a link that might be useful: More on soils. If you click me,I'll take you there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here