Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justadncr

Axis like Turface?

justadncr
16 years ago

I have looked in most of the garden centers in a 100 mile radius from me for Turface, Scott micromax or STEM. I dont know if up here in the PNW we are left in the dark but no one seems to know what I am taking about. I even asked several people at the Oregon Hardy Society plant sale.

I came up with something called Axis that I think will work.

Any suggestions regarding the others.

Did someone say the grit part I could get at a feed store. What would I ask for?

Thanks for all your help Al and others.

Comments (21)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    16 years ago

You may need to order some of the products you want to try on line! I'd recommend that avenue for the Micromax or S.T.E.M. I've never played with Axis for containers, but am familiar with the product in regard to golf course green development.

When you go to the feed store, ask for chicken grit! It should be 100% granite grit, with no food additives mixed in. Sometimes, feed stores will provide a variety of chicken FEED with grit mixed in. Ick! Not for your plants, lol!

• justadncr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the info. I will try to get Micromax and STEM on line. Turface is another matter.Do you know where most people get it??

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    16 years ago

Contact Profile Corp & ask for a list of distributors of "Turface MVP" near you. I buy direct from one of their distributors, but you may have to go to one of the distributors customers to get it. You'll likely find it at larger landscaping companies, a golf course, or a concern that builds athletic fields.

Profile Products LLC
    750 Lake Cook Rd, Suite 440
    Buffalo Grove, IL 60089

800-207-6457 Sports & Golf
    847-215-1144 Corporate Office

Also - contact me off forum about the Micromax and STEM.

An addition to what Dorie mentioned: Often, suppliers in near-coastal areas will sell crushed shells (oysters, etc) as poultry grit. It usually is very high in salt. Be careful not to use this.

Al

16 years ago

I just spent some time looking at the Axis product. It looks pretty impressive & superior to Turface in many areas if the stat's are to be believed. I wouldn't hesitate to try it as a replacement for Turface, as long as particulate size is primarily in the 1/16 to 1/8 size range. I'd like to get my hands on a sample.

Al

• bjs496
    16 years ago

Screen Analysis

Screen Size/ REGULAR/FINE

On 6 mesh (3.36mm)/ 05.0%
    On 10 mesh (2.00mm)/ 54.0%
    On 20 mesh (841 µm)/ 87.0%/ 02.0%
    On 8O mesh (177 µm)/ 98.8%/ 99.5%
    Minus 80 mesh/ 00.2%/ 00.5%

It looks like you'll have to screan about half the Regular variety out.

• justadncr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I didnt understand the last post. What size screen should I use to screen out small particles from bark etc. My Axis says it is regular on the bag and no mention of fine on it.
    Al I will call that number. It seems like every time I go to the valley shopping it is a weekend so I guess I need to plan ahead. Tomorrow I will call. Thanks again.

16 years ago

I have contacted a learned friend who I knew would have tried the Axis. I'll forward his comments - they're quite favorable.

Al

• filix
    16 years ago

I would like to know more about this product.I found some. It's like turface, in that they won't sell to people who are not in the landscaping biz. Filix

16 years ago

For more info, cash in on the link below.

Hint: Play Ball is the product you want, if you have a choice.

Al

Here is a link that might be useful: So you want to know about Axis & Play Ball, huh? Click me then!

• turface
    16 years ago

For anyone looking for turface you can find it in central florida and it is sold to everyone.
    863-419-9673

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    16 years ago

Play Ball is available locally in "fine" and "regular" particle size. I am experimenting with regular and fir bark of about the same particle size. My use is for a cutting starting mix and so far I am impressed with the results. It is about $10 for a 25 pound bag, but the material is light so it compares with perlite for cost. Al

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    16 years ago

Yesterday I repotted from cell packs to 4 inch pots, rooted cuttings of Aloysia triphylla and Plumbago auriculata. All were started in a mix of equal amounts of fir bark and Play Ball. The particle size of the fir bark was screened to match the size of Play Ball regular. The cuttings were beautifully rooted without any special care in my summer open air cold frame with many other plants all watered automatically. When removing the cuttings from the mix I was impressed with the dryness of the mix yet no hint of wilting of the cuttings. Five weeks from start to repotting. I am now anxious to try many hard to root plants. Al

• schmoo
    16 years ago

Justadncr,

Question??...what are you trying to do with the three different products?? The Scotts Micromax (granular minor nutrients for incorporating into soilless media), Scotts STEM (Soluble Trace Element Mix)is a soluble minor nutrient package for drenching and AXIS (and other similar products) are for nutrient/moisture retention.
    For the minor nutrient products, you need to locate suppliers of commercial nurseries, they are the ones who would sell these products (and there are others that work just as well...people just know the Scott's name). Both of those will be packaged in a 25lb. bag, probably a lot more than you need...but that is how they are packaged. If you live anywhere near Portland, there are places that sell these products.
    For the Turface,Axis or Hardball...what are you trying to achieve???

Schmoo

• justadncr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I am using the Micromax as an addition to my container mix for micronutrients. I wanted Turface to add to my soiless mix for my containters per Al's mix in place of perlite.

I used perlite in most of them and Axis in some and have had extremely good luck. I used about 3-4 parts bark chips, 1 part peat, and 1 part of either perlite or Axis. I put CRF and lime in as well.

If I am right I think I will use the S.T.E.M. next year as a soluble fertilizer for the pots I dont use new soil in.
    Let me know if I am wrong.

• schmoo
    16 years ago

Sounds like you are on the right track for the minor nutrients.
    Commercial operations in OR use Pumice (mined here in state)...red pumice, used on roadways more in the eastern part of the state and white pumice also, used in massive quantities by nurseries (both are heavier than pearlite). Another thing you can look for is "old-fashioned" kitty litter(try a farm store, look for the cheapest type)..."NOT" the newer clumping type's. These are normally made of a class of mineral called Zeolite, depending on the particle size you are looking for, it could fill your need (it also holds onto specific nutrients and slowly releases them).
    On your lime addition...try switching to dolomite, it will keep your magnesium level up(plus keep your mag./calcium ratio at the right level) and has a buffering capacity close to lime.

• npthaskell
    15 years ago

Before finding this thread, I just compared Turface with Axis, Zeolite & Pumice in another thread.

Schmoo, I'm not sure if red volcanic rock is a type of Pumice, I think that geologists may call it a "scoria" (spelling?). I think that it may be heavier. Scoria is redish to black foamed lava (er... that is cooled lava, LOL).

Schmoo, do you live in eastern Oregon? If so, you may have easier access to Turface-sized Zeolite than I do. I know that zeolite is marketed as the sole ingredient of kitty litter; but my impression is that it is a local thing (close to the mines); I have never seen zeolite kitty litter except on the internet. I may have seen kitty litter with a small amount of zeolite added as a deodorant; but never as the major ingredient.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread: Turface in Portland, Oregon?

• zeckron
    15 years ago

Glad to see this thread is re-kindled...

Npthaskell, you're right about the locality involved with the ingredients in kitty litters. Some are made of calcined clay products, some are made of zeolite, and others are made from Diatomaceous Earth (can be either "as is" or can be calcined). Not all big or small box stores have the good stuff that you'd be looking for.

From the little that I know about zeolite, it seems to be a fairly good and stable material. However, I believe Turface and diatomaceous earth products can absorb more water and may be less dense.

I've been using Turface for almost a year now and absolutely love it. However, about a month ago I got my hands on two diatomaceous earth products:
    Axis soil amendment (similar to PlayBall)
    NAPA Oil Absorbent (same uses as "OilDri", except OilDri is a calcined clay product and Napa's Oil Absorbent is a calcined diatomaceous earth product).

I haven't used either the Axis or NAPA Oil Absorbent for very long, but so far I am very impressed. It's very lightweight (even lighter than Turface, but doesn't float like perlite) and according to their website, Axis absorbs and releases much more water than Turface (regular grade Axis absorbs 114% of it's own weight in water according to data sheets).

I won't be able to get my hands on anymore Axis without buying a whole pallet and paying for the freight costs myself, but the NAPA Oil Absorbent product is available locally and very cheap.

If you're interested, call your local NAPA store. The product code of the particular one you want is #8822. NAPA carries other oil absorbing products, but 8822 is the one you want.

I'll try to spare you from a long story, but thought I'd share a conversation I had with the two sales clerks at my NAPA store when I was buying so many bags of the stuff. When I told them I was using it for a container soil amendment, I thought they would laugh. But they knew right away what I was talking about. Apparently a couple of the local high schools in my area buy a few pallets full of the stuff each year to amend their softball and football fields. The schools had used Turface in the past (after all, that's what Turface is made and marketed for), but the diatomaceous earth product has worked just as well if not better than Turface, and costs quite a bit less!

So anyway, if you're interested take a look into it.

Also, if you're going for the good kitty litter run a google search on "Kittydama" (an affectionate name for kitty litter that is suitable as a soil amendment; it's big with the bonsai folks too).

• zeckron
    15 years ago

Ah!! Here it is... Try this link. This is where I first learned about the NAPA Oil Absorbent (please note that the product name and packaging have had a change since the photo was taken on this website, but the product number is still the same).

Good reading and also some sources for good kitty litter.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kittydama

• npthaskell
    15 years ago

I went to my local NAPA about 1-2 years ago to check out their oil absorbants as possible Turface replacements, and I saw bags of diatomaceous earth...made by the same company (EaglePicher) that makes Axis. One bag had a tiny opening...I peaked inside and it looked like Axis. I have sacks of screened pumice, etc., that I haven't used yet, so I didn't try out "axis" from NAPA. I just went in for future reference.

That link is pretty good. They mentioned another auto parts chain "Carquest"; which I believe that we have locally in addition to NAPA.

• zeckron
    15 years ago

Sounds like you're way ahead of me Npthaskell, for finding out about NAPA's diatomaceous earth that long ago.

Rock on with your pumice. That's one thing I can't get my hands on around here as it apparently isn't mined anywhere locally or within economical shipping distance. I have to settle for Turface and DE products, but I've been very happy with them.

Researching and finding sources for soil amendments is a hobby in itself. Fortunately my wife has been very patient with me in that regard. The only thing in our shed that could be considered hers is the lawn mower. The rest of the space is filled with colorful sacks of a wide variety of amendments.

It will be a long time until I've used them all up :)