Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Permatil as a substitute for Turface?

Posted by dsb22 z7 VA (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 18, 13 at 0:40

Hi,
I am looking to repot some Japanese maples into Gritty Mix. They are currently in a 1:1:1 mix of pine bark fines (unscreened, only largest pieces removed), MiracleGro potting mix, and Permatil. I've been successfully using this mix for 6-7 years, though it's probably worked well for me because I've also potted up, root pruned, and refreshed the soil every couple of years. I purchased the trees online at the Size 1 and they now need the largest size pots I can manage/afford.

So, I am still hunting for the right size bark, but I have tracked down crushed granite (Gran-i-grit) and Turface and have both. However I am looking at needing to screen major amounts of Turface...going to start tomorrow, but I wanted to check to see if I could use Permatil as a sub. Permatil particle size is close to that of Gran-i-grit and uniform. From the PermaTill website:

PermaTill expanded slate characteristics include:
Sterile and Inert
Durable; High Compressive Strength
Particles contain 50% available porous surface area
26.9 me/100g CEC for enhanced nutrient retention
6 - 10 % moisture retentive
High water release curve allows for root uptake and movement through the soil
http://www.permatill.com/home-garden-products.php?cat=8

I am particularly wondering how the 6-10% moisture retention compares to Turface.

Thanks for any help
Deanna

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Permatil as a substitute for Turface?

Well, in case anyone is interested, I experimented with adding water to a cup of Turface and a cup of Permatill. Turface immediately soaked up all the water--quite amazing. So I will definitely use that. I think a gritty mix with Permatill as a sub would drain too quickly for what I need it for. I think it could be used as a sub for Gran-i-grit in a pinch (at Southern States the cost difference is $12 for 40 lbs vs $7 for 50 lbs).

o

Thanks for sharing. Many people worry that the gritty mix won't hold any water, but I have noticed that the turface seems to hold quite a bit.

o

Thanks for the info !

I like the Turface. Works great in the Gritty!

Thanks for the experiment!

Laura

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here