Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to Gardening

Posted by Keys_Sizzling_Garden NE (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 14, 14 at 0:50

Hello all,
I am new to gardening...honestly haven't even started yet but I'm super excited to get started!!! I recently bought 3 City Picker planters and want your opinions on a good fertilizer. A organic and a non-organic suggestion would be much appreciated just in case I can find both or neither!!! I've found the potting mix which is Nature's way potting mix, for dolomite I've found Espoma and for the fertilizer I've gotten stuck simply because I may be over thinking it, but I do know I need a granular fertilizer with the 3 numbers between 5-15 and I'm positive I'm not looking for lawn fertilizer therefore should I be looking for a particular fertilizer for my garden or should I be looking for compost or both? Also last question, would it be best to do my own seeds or should I start with seedlings?

Happy Gardening ALL,
Key

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to Gardening

I think with those kinds of boxes, it's better to plant a seedling (or rather, a plant that is a few inches tall) than to sow seed directly. So you could sow your own seeds into temporary cups or small containers, then transfer them in.

Check where you bought your City Pickers and they would probably have the granular fertilizer.

Keep in mind those 3 numbers can be multiples . For example, a 10-10-10 means that if you find something 20-20-20, it's still in the same ratios and could be used.

o

What are you planning to grow?

o

Thank you for the seedlings suggestion @gardenper!
DMForcier I want to start out planting the plant we et regularly such as tomatoes, spinach, arugula, zucchini, basil, bell peppers, melons things good for my area in the spring/summer time!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here