Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fertilizing with the 5:1:1 soil mix

Posted by ledouchebag none (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 13, 14 at 1:11

Just a newbie question that has been bothering me.

I've made the mix as recommended and added slow release fertiliser. Correct if I'm wrong but is it correct that I should be watering with a soluble all purpose fertilzer regularly? I have chosen one called nitrosol. It has the following breakdown:

10.5% Total Nitrogen
2.30% Total Phosphorus
6.80% Total Potassium
1.68% Total Calcium
Plus trace elements and minerals - 24 Vital ingredients

Given these elements, which includes magnesium, would this be sufficient or would I still have to add lime or gypsum or something extra?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fertilizing with the 5:1:1 soil mix

What do you plan on growing?

I would add the Dolomitic Lime for most plants, particularly vegetables.

Josh

o

Mostly azaleas, camellias , lorepetalums, fuchsias and camellias. Most of these prefer acid soils, so no lime. Do I still need gypsum though if it's in the fertiliser? Or would the quantities not be enough?
I've had my plants potted up for about three months now and they seem to be growing well, it's just finished summer here in Australia and they've shown no signs of stress or lack of water. I'm still worried about the fact I haven't added anything except for the fertiliser periodically. What would be the signs of not having added gypsum?

o

If it's working well, no need to add anything, I suppose.

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here