Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oil Dry versus Turface- head to head comparison

Posted by justaguy2 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 5, 08 at 1:16

I am a fan of Turface MVP, but it is a bit pricey and only one place in 50 miles sells it (that I have found) so like many (judging by the queries I read in this forum) I thought it would be great if I could find something more readily available and lower cost.

I have read where many have said Oil-Dry (and kitty litter) is more or less the same thing as Turface and I have read Tapla's (Al's) gentle warnings that to be safe the product should be soaked in water to ensure it was fired at a high enough temperature to not revert back to muck when saturated.

I went to oil-dry.com and read the MSDS info on oil-dry and it said it was insoluble in water. Great! I went out and bought 100 lbs of it. Other than a color difference it appeared identical.

Figured I would soak it overnight, just to be safe. After 2 hours soaking, this is the end result after a hand squeeze. Oil-Dry on the left, Turface MVP on the right.

Photobucket

I am guessing I don't have to explain why one is preferable to the other ;-)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oil Dry versus Turface- head to head comparison

Thanks justaguy for posting your results. My own comparison yielded the same results you experienced. The oil dri collasped into a muck that I dare not use in any of my plantings. I was hoping that the oil dri would have been a viable alternative to turface, because it is easier to find and cheaper.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 5, 08 at 10:45

Yes - agreed - some of it is just fine and a perfectly acceptable substitute, but the rest of it ..... Thanks, JaG.

Pretty plate. ;o)

Al

o

I tried that test with the oildri I bought and it didnt mush at all. I wasn't even sure it soaked up any water as it remained hard as a rock. Do you think the bags could be different or the brands? Just wonder if I need to check some of my other bags.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 7, 08 at 10:31

Those products do vary by manufacturer and by batch because their intended use does not require high-firing, so if you're using something other than Turface (kitty litter or oil-dri) it's wise to check it all with a soak before you use it. Remember: If you're in a pinch & only need a little, Schultz bags Turface MVP in 25 lb bags and labels it as their 'Soil Conditioner'.

JaG - I forgot to mention earlier, how disappointed I was for you - to learn that you bought a fair amount of unusable product. I hope you can return it?

Al

o

I could return it, but we have 2 cats so thinking about trying it as kitty litter. It's actually a bit cheaper than the kitty litter we have been using.

o

It makes a great kitty litter! That's what we use it for.

o

cool! Thanks Rhizo. I thought it would work, but hearing from you that it does makes me a lot more comfortable.

o

It's SOOOO much cheaper than branded kitty litter, too. I think we pay about $3.50 for a 40# bag of the stuff.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here