Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dancinglemons

A question about pine bark fines..........

dancinglemons
13 years ago

Hello all,

I've been to 4 Lowe's and 3 HD's in the Richmond area. I can't find PBF anywhere. Today I found a soil conditioner 2CF bag which is 50% bark and 50% compost. The stuff looked and smelled good. Problem is I don't know what the compost is composed of. My questions are -

1. Has anyone in the Richmond/Central Virginia area found PBF and if so where?

2. What brand name is considered good quality PBF?

Thanks,

DL

Comments (7)

• rnewste
    13 years ago

DL.

Ideally, this is what you are looking for (at some Home Depot):

{{gwi:681}}

Particles should be in this size range:

{{gwi:682}}

If you need a relatively small quantity, Reptile Bark will work well.

Raybo

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

Ray,
    those particles are quite large.
    The optimum size for bark is between 1/8 - 1/4 inch.

Josh

• ferretbee
    13 years ago

If you need partially composted pine bark fines for 5:1:1 mix Fafard Aged Pine bark can be ordered through:

Griffin Greenhouse & Nursery Supplies, Inc.
    5612 Pride Road
    Richmond, VA 23224-1028
    Tel: (804) 233-3454

They might not order less than a pallet of 36 for you, but it doesn't hurt to ask. They will deliver and Price was $10.33/ 2.8cuft bag.

Ray can get away with larger pieces since he's using it as an amendment to bagged potting mix. Since the primary component (potting mix) is made up of fairly fine pieces, uniformity of the other components isn't as important.

For gritty mix, it's important that the components all be of nearly uniform size.

My Home Depot doesn't carry that EarthGro product. I saw some some EarthGro mulches at a local K-Mart, however they did not have the product Raybo recommends and there was nothing appropriate for either Gritty or 5:1:1 mix.

Be careful what you buy, as products can vary by region even if the item numbers and packaging are identical.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

I wasn't sure if Dancing Lemons was filling a self-watering container or building mix
    for traditional containers.

I assumed traditional container.

I screen the bark for both the Gritty and the 5-1-1 mix.

The difference is that I keep the stuff that falls through the 1/8 inch screen for the 5-1-1.

Pieces that are significantly larger than 3/8 of an inch are best for mulching garden/beds.

Josh

• emgardener
    13 years ago

I go to the landscape supply companies that have large outdoor concrete bins of different soils, compost, bark, rocks,... and just buy the mini-bark. In the bay area the mini-bark is from redwood trees.

This spring the bark was well composted compared to previous years when I've bought it. Business is probably slow due to the recession and they've been sitting on a big pile of the same bark all through the winter rains.

• dancinglemons
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks one and all!! I will contact Griffin and see if they have a bag or 3 they will sell 'alone' :-)

I will be mixing it with ProMix BX. BTW called the 1-800 number on the bag of 50/50 and they said they "think" the compost portion of their soil conditioner is from municipal waste and they would not comment on if it is safe for growing veggies.

DL

• jaclyn6bva
    13 years ago

DL,
    I had great success dealing with Griffin last year, but as of last spring, they didn't carry the Fafard any more, unless i wanted the whole pallet. Perhaps we can find a few more people in the richmond area interested in splitting a pallet? I know I'd go in on one! I'll be at Griffin tomorrow picking up pots for my vineyard and will check in with them to see if they have it this year again.
    Jaclyn