Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where do y'all buy new plants for growing indoors?

Posted by maryartist 10b (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 7, 14 at 1:58

I'm all in with gritty mix, so before I get new plants, I'm trying trying to better my growing abilities.

What are the sellers that you avoid? All places that are not nurseries? Big box stores? Hardware stores?

What are the plant characteristics that you look for? Size - gallon or larger? Type - low light only?

What are the root/soil characteristics that you avoid? Not rootbound? Is there any plant NOT sold in crappy peat-based soils?

I ask because I am questioning my assumptions around houseplants in light of the wealth of information on this forum.

Mary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where do y'all buy new plants for growing indoors?

I happen to like peat, so would not consider it crappy. I would buy any of those if the price is right, and the plant is not available elsewhere.I have confidence I could correct any problems. I mostly buy plants online these days as I have enough plants already. I don't add many these days. This year I'm adding a jasmine hybrid that sounded really cool. And a black pepper plant. Both from online from a nursury i never dealt with before. I never seen the jasmine listed elsewhere, and I have been looking to buy black pepper tropical vine, and they had it, so i added that.
Orange Peel Night Jasmine is the hybrid I want. I already have two jasmines, and wasn't planning on adding another, but I couldn't resist!

o
RE: Where do y'all buy new plants for growing indoors?

Hi
I find that buying plants is one of the most difficult parts of any kind of gardening lol. can guanrantee that you will pay more in nurseries as opposed to box stores and not necessarily get better quality . but that varies by nursery of course ,heck that even varies by box store time of year and particulat outlet lol
Ideal would be to decide what kind of plants ,particular cultivar and growth habit you want and keep an eye out for those. and shop around. Of course if your like me all that goes out the window particularly at plant shows!! lol
If i'm looking for a particularly rare variety or odd cultivar I shop the specialized nurseries ,on line makes that so easy lol If on the other hand I happen uponj a double flowering ,red form of a tree of Xanadu pruned into a mickey mouse topiary at Walmart i will buy lol
I do find thast no matter what I buy or where within a month of purchase I'll find one at half what I paid lol Good luck gary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here