Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
noroom2grow

Mushroom Compost for Container Vegetables?

NoRoom2Grow
12 years ago

I went to home depot to get some supplies for my container garden. Someone told me to use mushroom compost instead of potting mix..

Anyone try this?

Comments (11)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    12 years ago

Caution - Depending on how fresh it is, it can be very hot (high in N), and very high in soluble salts. You can also count on it to break down rapidly (structural collapse). As it breaks down, the composting process generates a lot of heat as well. All in all, I'd rate it as a poor choice as a fraction of your media, let alone as the foundation.

Al

• Joe1980
    12 years ago

Agreed. My one word answer: NO.

• dickiefickle
    12 years ago

That would be a negatory

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    12 years ago

Any suggestions from Home Depot nursery employees relating to container growing, in my opinion would be suspect. Al

• afr0byte
    11 years ago

Since when does finished compost (I assume they're selling finished compost, that's not still "cooking".) generate a lot of heat? I agree one shouldn't use all compost as a potting soil, but certainly it's good in a mix.

• mea2214
    11 years ago

I've had problems with my tomatoes for the last 5 years where they suddenly collapse shortly after starting to bear fruit. I keep trying things differently each year and nothing seems to work. I decided to go against convention and use mushroom compost this year. I think my tomato containers need less drainage because of the environment they must suffer in. I have my garden journal online which shows the collapse of my tomato crop last year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bucktown Garden

• Mona B
    11 years ago

I have used it in containers successfully, but kind of treated it as a manure, rather than compost... maybe thats why...

But other's responses left me with another question... if it is high in nitrogen, and will produce heat, would it be suitable as a top-dressing in colder months? or mixed in for winter greens?

brainstorming... I only know enough to be dangerous...

• tn_gardening
    11 years ago

I would use it to create your own potting mix, not instead of a potting mix.

In other words, I'd most likely mix it with other ingredients.

Are you planning to use it exclusively in your container?

• greentiger87
    11 years ago

The "mushroom compost" they sell at Home depot.. isn't actually mushroom compost. At least not in my state, where they sell "Nature's Helper" brander. It's mostly composted forest products, manure, etc (it varies. It's very coarse really, with fine particles holding them together.

It's a great mulch or partially finished compost.. I use it as a topdressing sometimes. I can see how it would make a good component of potting soil. Just don't don't go into it thinking you'll get the specific benefits of true spent mushroom substrate (chitin content), because you won't.

• mea2214
    11 years ago

I looked at that Home Depot "mushroom compost" (purple bags) and thought it looked and felt like topsoil. The mushroom compost sold at Menards wasn't any better. I had to go to a nursery and bought the mushroom compost bagged by Town & Country out of Markham Illinois. It comes in brown and green bags and cost around $5/1.5 cu.ft. Just the feel of a handful you can tell it's good stuff. Too bad I didn't take a photo of it. Maybe I will next spring when all this madness starts anew. They have been selling this compost in the Chicago market for as long as I can remember. I've even seen it sold at Home Depot some years but not this year.