Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to gardening, seeds have all germinated...what's next?

Posted by ddelrosso182 Delaware (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 4, 13 at 3:01

Hello,

I am new to this forum and new to gardening. I live in an apartment with a decent balcony, which will be the location of my garden. I started seeds a couple weeks ago, and to my surprise nearly every seed germinated, and they are growing ferociously, and now I am lost! It's too cold in Delaware I think for my little guys to go outside, but they are outgrowing (I think) the little seed starting containers they are in, also my lettuces desperately need to be thinned out, I'm just not sure the best way to go about it. Basically I don't know what my next step should be...eventually I plan on the bigger plants to be in plastic storage bin sized containers, smaller tomatoes and these little hot peppers in hanging baskets, and I'm making an herb/lettuce container out of a fabric shoe organizer...an idea I got from some urban gardening blog somewhere out there. I just don't know what to do intermittently. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!

Ps. I could only upload 1 photo so I chose my lettuces, because I think they are the most out of control, but everything needs help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to gardening, seeds have all germinated...what's next?

Just start potting up. Whatever you are doing it's working. They look healthy. You could probably put the lettuce outside.

o
RE: New to gardening, seeds have all germinated...what's next?

I agree. And, lettuce is pretty cold tolerant and will actually taste better if it is grown in conditions that are cooler so out it goes.
I am in NoVA and my lettuce and spinach are outside-spinach got snowed on last week and is perfectly fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here