Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gritty mix repotting errors

Posted by Joben 8b (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 5, 11 at 4:53

Last Thursday evening, I repotted a 1 gal fig into a 3 gal container using my gritty mix. When I arrived home from work on Friday, the leaves on the poor guy were droopy. I believe I made some key errors in judgement that may have caused this result.

Immediately after repotting, I fed Mr. Fig a liberal amount of Foilage-Pro. On top of this, gypsum was already added to the gritty mix prior to repotting. I then left the little guy in full sun on what turned out to be the warmest day of the year up to that point.

I'm hoping the worst thing that happens is the existing leaves fall off. The new, tiny leaves appear fine.

Any suggestions?

Also, I have several other small fruit trees that are in bloom. Should I repot now or wait?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gritty mix repotting errors

Leaving the plant in the sun is the main culprit, I suspect.
Plants with large leaf-surfaces are especially prone to this response.

By 'liberal amount' of Foliage Pro, what are we talking? Full dose, or beyond?

Josh

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 5, 11 at 10:32

First, what occurred would likely have happened regardless of your choice of soil. Figs are genetically very vigorous, so I would expect the tree to recover eventually but for the consideration of what a liberal dose of FP is? Repotted trees are root-compromised because so many fine roots are broken in the process, so the plant needs a reasonable amount of protection. Liberal doses of fertilizer and/or a high level of ANY solubles in the soil can make it difficult for the plant to take up water.

I would probably flush the daylights out of it and move it to shade until it starts pushing new growth, then move it into full sun .... and hope for the best. If the fertilizer application wasn't excessive, it should make it.

If possible, try to keep the plant where root temps will be around 65*, even if it means bringing it into a dark garage temporarily.

Al

o
Errors?

Tue, Apr 5, 11 at 10:35

I was typing at the same time as Josh - sorry. ;-)

Al

o

I would say it was a full dose on two successive nights. I don't have access to the label at the moment, but it was 1/4 gal dose in a quart of water in time.

Al, will I need the gypsum when using FP?

Thank you

o
Repotting errors

To clarify...1/4 tbsp in a quart of water on two successive nights.

o

Tue, Apr 5, 11 at 16:41

This is not a scolding - just for your info. When it comes to fertilizers, there is an ideal level of nutrients, and an ideal ratio of nutrients, each to the others, and they are all based on the amount of N used by the plant. Exceeding those ideal levels is as limiting as a deficiency, and it's always better to err a little on the low side than to over-fertilize, because of the damage to cell plasmalemma and/or the difficulty the plant has taking up water.

I would flush the soil thoroughly and follow the other suggestions offered upthread & just be patient & see how things go. After the plant recovers, you'll be able to get it on a more favorable fertilizing regimen.

Al

o

Thanks, Al...will I need to add gypsum to my mix if using
F-P?

o

What Al said ;-)

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here