Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joben_gw

Gritty mix repotting errors

Joben
13 years ago

Last Thursday evening, I repotted a 1 gal fig into a 3 gal container using my gritty mix. When I arrived home from work on Friday, the leaves on the poor guy were droopy. I believe I made some key errors in judgement that may have caused this result.

Immediately after repotting, I fed Mr. Fig a liberal amount of Foilage-Pro. On top of this, gypsum was already added to the gritty mix prior to repotting. I then left the little guy in full sun on what turned out to be the warmest day of the year up to that point.

I'm hoping the worst thing that happens is the existing leaves fall off. The new, tiny leaves appear fine.

Any suggestions?

Also, I have several other small fruit trees that are in bloom. Should I repot now or wait?

Comments (8)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

Leaving the plant in the sun is the main culprit, I suspect.
    Plants with large leaf-surfaces are especially prone to this response.

By 'liberal amount' of Foliage Pro, what are we talking? Full dose, or beyond?

Josh

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    13 years ago

First, what occurred would likely have happened regardless of your choice of soil. Figs are genetically very vigorous, so I would expect the tree to recover eventually but for the consideration of what a liberal dose of FP is? Repotted trees are root-compromised because so many fine roots are broken in the process, so the plant needs a reasonable amount of protection. Liberal doses of fertilizer and/or a high level of ANY solubles in the soil can make it difficult for the plant to take up water.

I would probably flush the daylights out of it and move it to shade until it starts pushing new growth, then move it into full sun .... and hope for the best. If the fertilizer application wasn't excessive, it should make it.

If possible, try to keep the plant where root temps will be around 65*, even if it means bringing it into a dark garage temporarily.

Al

13 years ago

I was typing at the same time as Josh - sorry. ;-)

Al

• Joben
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I would say it was a full dose on two successive nights. I don't have access to the label at the moment, but it was 1/4 gal dose in a quart of water in time.

Al, will I need the gypsum when using FP?

Thank you

• Joben
    Original Author
    13 years ago

To clarify...1/4 tbsp in a quart of water on two successive nights.

13 years ago

This is not a scolding - just for your info. When it comes to fertilizers, there is an ideal level of nutrients, and an ideal ratio of nutrients, each to the others, and they are all based on the amount of N used by the plant. Exceeding those ideal levels is as limiting as a deficiency, and it's always better to err a little on the low side than to over-fertilize, because of the damage to cell plasmalemma and/or the difficulty the plant has taking up water.

I would flush the soil thoroughly and follow the other suggestions offered upthread & just be patient & see how things go. After the plant recovers, you'll be able to get it on a more favorable fertilizing regimen.

Al

• Joben
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Al...will I need to add gypsum to my mix if using
    F-P?

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

What Al said ;-)

Josh