Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
doomahx

Any way to drasticly improve bagged potting soil without bark?

doomahx
10 years ago

Hi,

I was hoping to make 5-1-1 for my vegetables but unfortunately it doesn't seem like i will be able to get any bark except reptibark this year. I had no problem finding gritty mix ingredients but it's all used up for my perennials. My choices for potting mix this year will be limited to Fafard organic potting mix and Fafard professional potting mix.

Fafard Organic potting mix
Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss, Pine Bark, Perlite, Organic Wetting Agent

Fafard professional potting mix
Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss, Aged Pine Bark, Perlite

Unfortunately i cannot find any percentages or ratios for the components but i will assume each has too much peat moss. Right now i'm leaning towards the pro mix mainly because of the mysterious "organic wetting agent" in the organic.

Is there anything i can do to improve this potting soil effectively without bark fines? Would adding reptibark and more perlite be an option?

Edit

I should have mentioned that i don't have access to composted bark fines in the title but i can't edit it.

This post was edited by doomahx on Fri, Apr 26, 13 at 6:35

Comments (3)

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    10 years ago

Repitbark or perlite are definitely options, although the more expensive options as compared to pine bark. the pine bark mulch doesn't have to be composted. Mine isn't. Just hate to see you spend a fortune.

• dale92539 Riverside Co SoCal
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I have had good experience with some bagged soils. Look at the ingredients for those you most like. I have a set of screens from 1mm to 9mm in 1mm increments. Just screening some soils for the upper and lower particle sizes needed helped. The quality soils can be expensive like Pro Mix HP and Sunshine #4 Aggregrate about $24 per bag. I have tried StaGreen from Lowes, it was ok for the annuals. It was a good price, but has CRF added. I just screened the fines <1mm or 2mm, added some perlite or pumice. Add 10 to 15% Calcined Clay if wanted. It is better to start with a very small quantity of soil to evaluate, before planting up everything or commiting to one.

Also Purchasing a Large Bales of Sphagnum PeatMoss, Vermiculite, Calcined Clay, and Perlite or Pumice. Mixing up a batch of custom Mix. But note, not all Peat moss is equal. Some is over milled, or just left over fines (MG etc). Get a good Quality Coarse Sphagnum PeatMoss, Sunshine or Premier ( maker of Pro Mix). Screen it if you want, use the fines around the yard. ProMix is just Sphagnum Peat: Perlite (2:1) with Dolomite ,Gypsum, and Mycorrhizae added.

• jodik_gw
    8 years ago

My personal preference is to avoid bagged peat or coir based soils altogether and go with an adjusted rendition of the Gritty or 511 Mixes, as described in Al's article on "Container Soils - Water Movement & Retention".

I find that a more porous medium actually gives my plants' roots the proper environment to grow and remain healthy in, without perched water sitting anywhere, or soggy rootballs while the surface seems dry. The mediums i use are free-draining and give the plants what they need without remaining soggy for too long a period of time.

Link - Container Soils Article

It's definitely worth a read to find out what purposes plant roots serve, what actually happens under the soil surface, and to gain a little knowledge on the basic physics of how water moves through various materials within a confined space... and that's precisely what growing in a pot environment is... it's a confined space.

Pots don't have the same army of living things that gardens do, continuously moving and aerating the soil, or the ability to avoid perched water tables. So, we have to control the elements that make up our potted plantings and keep them growing in a healthy manner.

It's not the actual mix recipes that are important... it's an understanding of the concepts discussed in the article that are important. Once you understand the concept, you can adjust the ingredients you use, the ratios, etc... and make it fit your own individual growing environment... which will naturally differ from anyone else's.

Happy Growing!