Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maca9

Non-Dwarfs for container planting??

maca9
11 years ago

Hi all

I'm looking to get a nectarine tree to be planted in a container on our deck.

Whilst there are of course some dwarfs available (garden delight etc) there is significantly more choice in the non-dwarf options. There is a double grafted snow queen/ firebrite nectarine which is not dwarf which I'm interested in.

It appears that growing non-dwarf fruit trees in containers is certainly possible however I wanted to get some guidance from the experience on this forum as to how sensible growing non-dwarfs in containers is?

I will be using the 5-1-1 mix. And willing to repot (root prune) every 2 years.

Any advice or experience around the implications of non-dwarfs trees in containers will be very appreciated.

Thanks

Macca

Comments (5)

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    11 years ago

You seem to understand the difficulties, or challenges, so why not go ahead with the tree of your choice? I have not tried it but am sure it is doable. Al

• Ernie
    11 years ago

I see no reason to limit yourself to dwarf trees when growing in containers. I've linked to a thread in the Fruits & Orchards forum with some helpful information...

Here is a link that might be useful: Container Fruit?

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    11 years ago

shazaam

Thanks a milion for the link to Container Fruit forum
    That solved a lot of problems for me.I think I will continu on with a project I had decided to abandon with my meiwa kumquat tree. My 55 gallon drums, 10 of them should do fine for my meiwa kumquat trees from seed and perhaps a few fruits I would never considered.

maca9 Go for it The trees you are looking are short lived and by the time they are root bound and decreasing in production. They will be decadent and dying, ready to replace.

I really like pictures so I'll post a picture of my 'at maturity' similar size tree to yours that will reside in a 55 gal. drum

{{gwi:1909}}
    seed grown meiwa kumquat tree --click on pic opens slideshow. Use keyboard arrows to navigate

Click the link bellow to see where Meiwa will grow

Here is a link that might be useful: https://plus.google.com/photos/111099372377958308731/albums/5864651368775846321?banner=pwa&authkey=CI763rvAj8eLAg

• maca9
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all the feedback.

Poncirusguy - thanks for the photos. How long do you think they would last before production slows and the tree needs replacing? Is it a 2-3 year thing or 5+? Just interested. Thanks.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    11 years ago

5 + probably Trees in the peach family max out at 7 years and are often dead in 10. The trick is to get a small tree that you can train to say 5 to 7 ft and spreading..I do ,my peaches from seeds. The first year sprouted seed might grow to 2-3 ft. Trim it to 1 ft to get 3 or 4 trunks of it in its second year it could put on an additional 3 to 5 ft with many branches. The third year you'll start getting flowers but not many. The fourth year you will start getting a lot of fruit. If all goes well the tree will get just a little bigger and produce a lot more fruit. The barrel size will limit the useful size of the tree so you'll need to prune it keep the same size with fresh fruiting wood. as the year go on the roots will root bound and production will decline. and hopefully you will be 3 years into your replacement before the first tree dies. you want container trees short but wide, hence you are limited on root space. I have yet to have a peach tree last more than 7 years. If you get a grafted tree get a small young tree and branch it low nectarines are a little more finicky
    good luck and check out the link above provided by shazaam I have. it is very informative and can give far more than I can

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz