Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gthumb21

Can I plant these in a strawberry container?

gthumb21
12 years ago

I am building a container garden made up of 5 gallon buckets. I wanted to know if it would yield more if I planted them each in a container, or if I planted many in one (like a strawberry container with holes on the side).

The plants I am specifically asking this about are: tomatoes, peas, green beans, peppers, and cucumbers.

I have been making some 12 hole containers (on the side), but I could reduce this down to 6 or 3 if this would help for certain vegetables. Of course, I have a ton of regular 5 gallon buckets that I can use if neither of these options are optimal. I just thought I would be better to ask than to experiment and waste my garden space.

Thanks!

Comments (4)

• Johnsp
    12 years ago

You could do this but 5 gallon buckets would be especially small for tomatoes unless your prepared to provide lots of water and fertilizer. Yields will be determined by the amount of fertilizer available not whether they are planted on the side or top.

Scott

• gthumb21
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have a self watering system, so it gets water perfectly all the time. I have added 2 cups of granular 5-3-1 organic plant food and 1 cup agricultural lime with a 70 / 30 mix of peat moss and vermiculite.

But you think I should stick to one plant or multiple? I want the highest yield.combination.

• Ohiofem 6a/5b Southwest Ohio
    12 years ago

None of the vegetables you list will do well sharing a container with any other plant. I would plant no more than one of any of them in a 5-gallon pot. Tomatoes and cucumbers would give you a better yield in a larger pot. Even peppers need at least 5 gallons per plant.

• gthumb21
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, that is what I thought. Just didn't want any wasted space in the bottom of my 5 gallon containers.