Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to get rid of indoor insects attracted to plants

Posted by pnadaroux 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 14, 14 at 8:19

I recently moved to a new apartment with great light and have been buying indoor potted plants, including edible herbs. What is a natural way to get rid of insects that are attracted to my plants? Diatomaceous earth maybe? I was planning to buy DE for my compost pail, anyway, but am not sure how to use it for plants. I think DE needs to be kept dry to be effective, so I shouldn't use it on the soil due to watering. None of my plants require misting. Can I dust the plants with DE, or will that hurt the plants themselves? Fyi I have (so far) daffodils, gardenias, a bunch of edible herbs and a few other flowering plants.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to get rid of indoor insects attracted to plants

I don't have an answer but am just curious. Do u already have insects.....or r u just being preventive? Because with all the various houseplants I have, I've never had any sort of insect problem. I know that it's best to inspect plants before buying and before bringing in house. And weather permitting, I sometimes give 'em a good spray with the hose before bringing 'em in, bit not always.

o

Hi Brit, it's a bit of both. I have been noticing more bugs and I remember getting bugs when I got houseplants in the past. Honestly, I wouldn't go out of my way to get rid of a few bugs, but I'm going to buy some diatomaceous earth anyway. I will spray down the plants that can get wet to see if it helps. Any other advice, using DE or not, would be appreciated, too. Thanks, all!

o

It is important to identify exactly what the insect pests are. DE is only effective on certain types, whereas insecticidal soap or neem oil may be more appropriate with sucking insects. And if fungus gnats, you may not need any insecticide at all but to back off on the watering and layer on some coarse sand.

But proper ID is paramount before specific suggestions can be made.

o

Gardengal, that makes absolute sense. I'm not familiar with insects other than fruit flies. Do you have any advice on how I can familiarize myself with potential pests so I can identify the ones we have?

o

What gardengal said.

As far as I.D. for pests, get really good with a camera and take pics. Then post them in the Garden Clinic forum. They'll usually have an answer.

Kevin

o

My plants are all move to outside. I just had Fungus Gnat problem. At the suggestion of friend at Hot peppers forum, I used Mosquito Dunk and it worked for me.

o

Kevin, that's a great idea! I'll do this.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here