Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

Looking for Pine Bark Fines in Massachusetts

First of all, I am really impressed with the information I've read from Al, explaining how the structure of the soil in containers is so important and the amount of time and patience he has to help people improve their container growing. I am completely sold on the idea of using the mix that he is suggesting and have been for a couple of years now. My problem has been that I haven't found the main ingredient Pine Bark Fines yet.

I admit I haven't done an all out search for it. I've started to focus on it a couple of times and had to drop it and go back to other priorities. I have asked at different nurseries for this ingredient and they usually offer me bark mulch that is not that. So there isn't any company that actually makes this exactly in the state that we need it in? I did see another post where someone was recommending Earthgro Decorative Groundcover Bark, from one of the box stores, but I'd like to avoid that product if I can.

It also seems like people in other parts of the country find it a lot easier than people here. I did ask here awhile back and never got to follow up on it at that point. I just did a search for my old post and nothing came up.

So, can anyone direct me to where I can find Pine Bark Fines in the Boston area?

Comments (5)

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I did call the nursery again this morning to ask for the Pine Bark Finesâ¦never heard of that. I asked what they had for Pink Bark products, they have shredded bark mulch, Pine Bark Nuggets, and a 'Mini Nugget' that has a 1-2 inch particle size. Is that something I could use?

• paul_cronin
    10 years ago

hey prairie moon,

For Als 5-1-1 mix, I use Coast of Maine "Dark Harbor Blend" right out of the bag. I get it at Allandale Farm in Boston/Brookline.

http://www.coastofmaine.com/barks-darkharbor.shtml

I used it last year in the 5-1-1 and it really worked well for my eggplant, tomato, peppers and random flowers. I'm definitely using it again this year!

Paul

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Paul, thanks for that link and idea. I sometimes buy Coast of Maine products. Seems to be a very organic company. I went to the link and read the description and I'm not sure the particles are the right size for Al's mix, are they?

But, I'm happy to know that you've tried that product and that it really worked well. If I don't find any actual pine bark fines, that may be exactly what I'll get as an alternative. Thanks.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, I finally figured out what the problem was in finding an old thread of mine where I had asked this same question. It was on the Houseplants forum and not this forum. [g]

Paul I did get an answer from Mike on that forum, back in November of 2012. So if you are still looking for the ingredients for Al's mix, he had some suggestions for where to get them in Massachusetts.

Here's a link to the thread where he answered that for meâ¦.you wouldn't find it if you didn't know what to look for.

Here is a link that might be useful: Help Repotting a Lime Tree

• seysonn
    10 years ago

I'm not sure the particles are the right size for Al's mix, are they?

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    Particle size is from dust all the way up to 1/2".
    Now it is difficult to formulate what percent under 1/8", 1/8" + to 1/4". 1/4" + to For that reason you can play with peat moss. So if what you have has more PeatMoss like particle, you can eliminate PM, or even sift some fine stuff out. IF it is lacking small particle ( LT 1/4") you can UP the PM (say make it 4-2-1 OR even 3-3-1). You've got to get a feel for it.
    And it also depends on your climate. I THINK it won't be wise to use the same formulation down in Central Texas and up here in the PNW.