Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
carnations in containers?

Posted by bertieohio 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 13, 06 at 9:00

I have some carnations in my garden that really aren't doing well...they have not spread in 3 years, thanks probably to my clay soil. It dawned on me that they might do better in containers. So here are my questions:

Has anyone tried carnations in containers?
Will they grow better in shade or sun?
How would I winterize them?

Thanks for any help you can give!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: carnations in containers?

Mine died in the almost solid clay soil as well. *sigh*
But they do great in a large container. =)

I have them placed against a west wall and they seem to like that amount of light and shade (no sun till around 11 am). Moisture is the biggest thing about them in a container and I would recommend using water crystals to help out. As for winterizing them, I pack them in a slightly sheltered corner of the house (under a slight overhang) with all of my other perennial containers and empty bags of leaves over them, making sure I push some down in between each pot and between the pots and the house. I usually have a bag or two to mold around the exposed side and place rocks on them so they don't go anywhere. By springtime I have a great light amount of leaf mold on the tops of all the pots and in between them. =)

Best of luck to you.

o
RE: carnations in containers?

I found a TRAILING carnation this year (T&M, I think), and am excited to try it exclusively in containers. This is T&M's pic, but I know I got the seeds from valueseeds.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here