Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bveronico

Did I scew up? -Overcrowded trailing petunias

brooklynbonnie
10 years ago

Hello,

I haven't posted here before, but yesterday I went a bit crazy about making our drab rowhouse (with dirty aluminum siding from the 80's and bars on the windows) look more cheerful.

I had picked up a 30" window planter and went out and bought five trailing petunia plants on a whim. I grabbed four labeled "mini trailing petunia" and named "Whispers Amethyst", and one PW Supertunia "Pretty Much Picasso". I planted them, hung the planter, watered, took pictures, THEN sat down at my computer to research what I had bought. Ugh!

So now I am worried they will under-perform because I crammed them in one right next to the other. I have read so much about how they like to spread out and need as much as 12" between plants, so I'm thinking I should have only put 3 in the planter. But I've also read that even if they are crowded in a planter, you can "bring them back" when they start to look mangy by giving them a trim and more fertilizer.

What do you all think? They were planted in part garden soil (lacking in everything and neutral pH) and part commercial planter soil advertising 6-months of slow release feeding for plants.

Thank you for your thoughts and sorry for making this so lengthy!

Comments (2)