Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How Often Do I Water . . .?

Posted by joraines 7 Upstate SC (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 8, 13 at 9:10

Seeking the advice of container gardening experts. I have a tiered metal planter with the main planting basket about four feet high and about 16" across. I lined it with cocoa fiber, filled it with Miracle Gro potting soil and planted a pink geranium (the annual type), white Bacopa and purple petunias. I have it placed beside our goldfish pond. How often should I water it as it will be affected more by heat and drying air since it is a raised basket? Weekly? Bi- or thrice- weekly? Thank you to anyone who will advise. I have mainly stuck with perennials in the ground so container annuals are a new gardening foray for me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How Often Do I Water . . .?

I use el-cheapo bamboo ka-bob skewers to test my containers to see if they need watering. Stick skewer into container and if see if it comes out damp or dry. Usually about $1 for a package of skewers.

o

Good idea! Thank you for the suggestion! I appreciate it.

o

My hanging baskets with those plants are 14-16 inches in diameter and maybe 8-10 inches deep, lined with coir. They need watering every other day when the plants are full grown in mid summer. If when you say they are four feet high you mean they are four feet above the ground, then I would guess they are similar to mine. I just stick my finger in an inch or so and water if the soil feels dry. You can use a skewer, but the coir lined planters drain so well that you are at little risk of overwatering. When in doubt, I water. They will wilt fast if they're thirsty.

o

I feel like, as you say, it would be difficult to over-water and yes, this wire planter basket is four feet off the ground so will not only 'air' out but will suffer from heat in the hot summer. I plan to take a pic today when I head back down to mulch and weed again. We have a wedding reception here on our farm in three weeks so I have to do what I can to get everything looking as pretty as possible!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here