Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wood chips in mulch-

Posted by colokid 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 24, 11 at 9:10

This is a hard question to answer without seeing the actual stuff. I have ground up my yard clean up which is mostly half rotted leave, but with some small branches and sticks mixed in. I did it to use as mulch around plant. Can I use this to supplement my other mixture, like a layer in the bottom of the large pot or raised bed? The leaves are pretty well decomposed, it is the wood that worries me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wood chips in mulch-

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 24, 11 at 11:44

It's much more valuable as a mulch than as a part of a container soil or a layer in your container. I would avoid using it in my soils for various reasons.

AL

o
RE: Wood chips in mulch-

Once a year I rent a commercial chipper($300 a day)and run a years worth of the "slag" or wood too small for firewood. I arrange this job when a grandson is visiting. This chipped wood I add to a sausage shaped pile. When I need mulch I take it from oldest end of the pile, which is partially composted from the rain. Being wood chips it lasts about two years as mulch spread over the garden, before it needs being renewed. It does wonders for the garden, but I never use it on my containers. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here