Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heavens123

How often do you water houseplants in gritty mix?

heavens123
14 years ago

....And what is the best way to gauge when they need watering? Al explained how moisture meters work, so mine is retired for now. I've stuck a dowel in but unless freshly watered, it seems to come out clean and my finger only goes down so far. Something I watered two days ago feels dry to my finger, but I know that can't be. Is everyone here watering houseplants 2-3x a week? When I do water, I have been putting huge amounts of water into the pots so that it runs out the bottom heavily. I use my fish tank siphon to suck the water from the drip trays into the kitchen sink.

My questions are in regard to plants that are strictly houseplants and most are in 15-20" pots.

And sorry to ask so many questions!!! I want to make sure I get this right, right from the start, as I intend to continue with these new methods on a permanent basis. Although I've raised plants for years, I know enough to know how much I don't know!

Comments (7)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    14 years ago

It's really hard to say how often watering is required. It varies by season, by the mass of the plant relative to soil volume, and the type of plant itself. I have some indoor plants in small pots (under lights) that require a drink daily. The lion's share get watered every 2-3 days, but some succulents only get watered weekly with another few getting water every couple of weeks (intentionally forced into environmental dormancy so the plant doesn't develop long internodes during winter and spoil its form).

Maybe using a wick through the drain hole would be helpful for you. If used to its best advantage, it would serve to drain any excess water that might accumulate at the bottom of the pot, while also serving you as a 'tell' to help you decide when to water - if the wick is wet ..... wait.

Al

• monet_g
    14 years ago

I, too, am trying to "work out the kinks" in watering the gritty mix. I am primarily using it for clivias. When I potted them in the new mix, I implanted a dowel. I tested the moisture content by touching it to my cheek. (Coming out clean doesn't register moisture accurately.) I then realized that if I reinserted the dowel I would be puncturing the large, fleshy roots of the plant which I didn't want to do. I then used the finger test and found just what you did - it always felt dry. I watered with no ill effects about every 3-4-5 days. My current procedure is to feel the bottom of the clay pot. If it feels moist, I wait. I am watering about twice a week at this time of year. My take is that we will be watering much more often than we have ever had to using standard potting mixes, but oh the plants are loving it. I was pleasantly shocked to see the amount of new root growth in just a month. (Thanks, Al.)

I use a turkey baster to remove the excess water that has drained through into the catch saucer/tray. Wonderful tool for this purpose.
    Gail

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

WATCH OUT!!!! The mix holds ALOT more moisture than you might think, when you think it is dry!

I lost a christmass cactus, clivia, my fave desert rose, and a few citrus when I first started..Even when I thought the mix was bone dry!

I STILL use the wooden dowel method after all this time!

Mike..:-)

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

Your a poet and you just don't know it Al..:-)

A big Hello from my Mom!!! and I of course..

"The wick or the stick will do the trick!:-)

Mike..

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    14 years ago

I'm a poet
    And YOU don't know it,
    But my feet show it.
    They're Longfellow's

Al

• heavens123
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for all of your helpful replies. I just realized that I wasn't actually using a dowel, but a bamboo stick, which is probably more water resistant and harder to see. So I'm going to go get a dowel and try it that way.

All of my plants are either in plastic, resin or fiberglass pots, so no real terra cotta. I'm going to give it several weeks to see how much watering and then reevaluate. I have to go away for a week at a time so might have to up the turface content on the mix to hold water longer if the plants dry out too fast. While I trust my housesitter to get the plants under lights, which have huge drip trays,there are far too many other plants where if the drip trays ran over it would be very, very bad. With regular potting soil, most plants were going 1-1/2 to 2 weeks, which means too wet. If I can stretch it to 6 or 7 days, it would be perfect, but we'll see. I think it's confusing because the top of the gritty mix looks totally dry by the next day.

I think I'm going to have to do a wilt test for sure before I'll really know and feels safe.