Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gardeners'Supply ever put their self-watering containers on sale?

Posted by liz_h 7/8 DFW Texas (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 1, 12 at 9:25

Does anyone know if gardeners.com has regular sales at some point in the year on their self-watering containers?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gardeners'Supply ever put their self-watering containers on s

I've never seen big SWC's on sale cheap. If they were I'd probably buy a few. I made one last year out of a couple of 5 gal buckets, and it worked really well.

o

The basic answer is no. They ocassionally offer free shipping which can save a bit. In general most of the products they sell are significantly more expensive than the same or similar items sold by others. I like doing business with them in spite of that because the products they sell are of good quality, they sometimes carry items you can't find anywhere else and they have a lot of good information on their website. They are an employee owned company and I actually like getting their emails.

As for SWCs, there is a great variety available. I recently saw some on sale at home depot for about $20. They were obviously cheap, but serviceable.

o

The garden supply SWCs are the best quality ones, I still have some that were used for over 12 years, no sign of cracking or damage or anything. Much better quality than the Earthbox ones I've seen at the local nursery store.

Since I don't use them anymore, I'd be willing to give mine away (5 units) to anyone who wants to come get them in the California Bay Area. They've been retrofitted with a level valves for automatic watering and holes drilled for extra aeration in the bottom layer between the soil and reservoir.

o

• Posted by liz_h 7/8 DFW Texas (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 2, 12 at 23:01

emgardener - If I lived close, I'd be there tomorrow! I'm very glad to hear they lasted so well. We've decided to wait until next year now, but I'm glad to know the GS lasted so well. They also have larger reservoirs than the EarthBox - very important in a climate with 100' temps at midnight.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here