Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chicken Manure Pellets in SWC's?

Posted by Azjohn Arizona (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 24, 12 at 9:39

Would it be alright to use chicken manure pellets in Swc's? I was thinking of mixing 2 cups in the lower portion of the upper chamber of a 19 gallon container and another cup for the fertilizer strip at the top.

How much powdered eggshell for tomatoes? Would a cup mixed in sufficiently substitute for dolomite? Lastly, can anyone give me guidance on whether or not I should use epson salts, and how much?

Sorry to be a bother. I am 83 and I just don't remember as well anymore. I really have enjoyed this forum, but as I still have 50 years more work to do, I don't get as much time as I would like to study the wonderful insights.

Thanks, John

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chicken Manure Pellets in SWC's?

John, Any time you add manure, compost or the like into a SWC you are defeating the wicking action. Keep it up and soon you will have a bog that does not wick at all. =( Eggshells, even powdered take forever to break down. The reason we use dolomite lime is is helps defeat the acidity present in the peat moss. Even dolomite takes several months before it is fully available to the plants. I have never used eggshells in a SWC, atleast not that I remember, and my memory isnt too good anymore either! LOL LInda

o

2 cups of pellets is not going to make that much of a dfference in the wicking. years of reusing the soil would have a problem. as for the rest what linda said.

o

Dolomite (garden lime) is less than $ 6 for 40 pounds

o

Thanks for the help. Can you suggest where I might get bulk dolomite? I have only seen it in small packages.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here