Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pure Kitty Litter?

Posted by vgtar z7 copenhagen (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 24, 13 at 9:42

I was wondering, instead of the gritty mixes and 5:1:1, does anybody have any experience with pure kitty litter? -If the thing is to get aeration with a material that is able to quickly absorb water, then it seems like the perfect choice, and I'm wondering, why would I also need the granite, bark etc? -Too little water tension?
The Kitty Litter, I'm talking about, is high-fired Danish marine diatomite/kiselgur/moler or whatever you want to call this type of clay (10% volcanic ashes, 30% clay minerals and 60% diatom shells).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pure Kitty Litter?

• Posted by nil13 z21 Mt. Washington L (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 24, 13 at 11:10

I have strawberries growing in pure turface which is calcined clay. If it's high fired it should work fine. I also have strawberries in 2:1 gravel:calcined clay, but they aren't doing as well as the straight calcined clay. But then I am in an arid environment, far more than you are. They are 'to waste' hydroponic cultures, so all the nutrients have to come from the irrigation water. I would say give it a try and if it holds too much water, add some gravel.

i have seen a study that says you should saturate the calcined clay with phosphate before use for better results. They soaked it in water with superphosphate. I haven't done this and haven't noticed a problem, but that doesn't mean a whole lot as my observations have not been rigourous.

o
RE: Pure Kitty Litter?

• Posted by vgtar z7 copenhagen (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 26, 13 at 17:12

Today, I tried putting a small pot (with holes in the bottom) filled with dry kitty litter into a big saucer filled with water to check it's wicking ability. I didn't expect it, but the water was actually sucked all the way up to the surface of the litter.
I think that this might actually be used in self-watering systems.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here