Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
okay to top dress 5-1-1 with compost?

Posted by njitgrad 6A/6B New Jersey (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 30, 14 at 10:02

5-1-1 newbie here. I'd like to know if anyone here adds compost to their 5-1-1 mix either before planting (mixed in) or afterwards (top dressing) throughout the season? I never thought about this until now and I hope that the large amount of compost I started last year is actually going to serve some purpose.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: okay to top dress 5-1-1 with compost?

From the University of Vermont Extension:

"Issues with compost in potting mix. "In some ways, compost is like snowflakes" no two batches of compost are exactly alike. So while compost usually adds value to a potting mix, it can also add a measure of uncertainty about performance that is not the case with conventional mixes. Immature compost in particular can harm seedlings by releasing ammonia, or tying up nitrogen, or stunting growth because of organic acids that have not fully decomposed. To avoid these problems it is important to use only mature compost, and to buy it from a reputable source or to carefully make your own using a consistent supply of high quality ingredients."

More at the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.uvm.edu/vtvegandberry/factsheets/pottingmix.html

o

(I do like, and use, compost myself for large outdoor containers, But I recognize those caveats. Most old gardening books talk about "well aged" compost for those reasons.)

o

I'm doing containers with 5-1-1 for the first time this year, but in the past I've used compost as top dressing on tomatoes and peppers, in amended soil, and they seemed to always pop out with more blooms for about 3-5 days every time I add it. But I'm not sure we're even talking about the same thing - I use compost from worms, so it's pretty consistent, not like a compost pile in the yard or bags from a store. This is kitchen scraps and shredded paper, cardboard, egg cartons, that kind of stuff. I only use the well finished, um, poop. :)
Lynn T

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here