Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
james415_gw

Flower Options

james415
10 years ago

Hi Friends,

Long time reader, first time poster.

My wife and I live in Hoboken, NJ. We rent an apartment with a small concrete backyard which our landlord has graciously given us permission to container garden this spring and summer.

In planning the garden, we have decided to grow tomatoes, peppers, potatoes and the new Burpee On Deck Corn for containers. We also want to beautify the ugly slab of white concrete with flowers everywhere: flowers in the shade, flowers in the sun, flowers in all corners, in an attempt to make it more appealing, comfortable and friendly on the eye.

With that, I have two questions. In prepping for a trip to the nursery, can someone recommend to these flower newbies here 1) a plant which will cascade over the side of the container and 2) a flower which transplants well which is full of bright color?

Thanks guys and gals! We appreciate the suggestions! I will try to snap a photo of the backyard and add to this later so you can see just how dreary it truly is. Any and all color will make it much more appealing.

James and Mara

Comments (3)

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    10 years ago

Hi James -

Which direction does your yard face? How much sun does it get right now vs. how much sun will it get in the heat of summer? Shade trees? I know NJ weather (originally from Greenwich, CT here!) but the direction of your yard will determine what you can or cannot grow successfully. That said, there's no harm in experimenting, other than a bit of disappointment. :-)

If you're going to keep everything in containers only -- then I'd suggest you research good mediums for your containers. There's a lot of information on this forum. A LOT. :-) I'd highly suggest you read all of that before you buy a single plant.

Also, when dealing with a concrete backyard -- you'll find that having a good amount of greens/foliage as well as a good share of flowers is much more attractive than just flower plants.

Assuming you have a good dose of sun back there -- for spillers, I like trailing coleus, sweet potato vines and trailing petunias if you really need hard color. There's always ivy -- though I haven't used any this season. Lately, I've developed an affinity for Bacopa; I like how sturdy and strong it is, even as it spills over. Used right, Creeping Jenny is also nice. Some sedums will spill nicely, too, and provide a different texture from typical spillers.

Regular petunias provide outstanding color, and for shadier areas, you have impatiens and begonias. Lobelia will also give you a deep blue small flowers, profusely blooms. Alyssum does the same -- in white; very pillowy light.

There are folks here who will list off plant names like computers....and I'm sure if you provide additional details (re: direction/sun, etc.) many will give you more suggestions than you could possibly handle!

Good luck, and have fun! How exciting.

• james415
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the follow up! My backyard faces east, slightly north east. The only true shade it will get is when the sun starts to move west around 6 - 7 pm OVER the house, which is a very tall building.

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    10 years ago

hey ya james415

Your probably not getting too many replies because the list of what you can plant is so dang long. I suggest going to a local nursery armed a fat wallet and possibly a picture of your yard. I am sure you will come home happy.

Good luck and be sure to update with some pictures!