Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fertilizing container plants

Posted by pearsaml 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 24, 11 at 10:29

What fertilizers do you guys use when fertilizing container plants that are already planted? I'm growing some herbs (mint, oregano), hops, and salad greens, and am soon going to be planting some tomatoes, basil, and some hot and sweet peppers. Unfortunately I couldn't come up with all of the ingredients for Al's gritty mix or the 5-1-1 :( so I'm just using some 'organic choice' scott's potting mix. Last year I used fish emulsion, and got good results with the hops, mint, oregano and chili peppers, but the yeild on the rest was pretty low.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fertilizing container plants

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 24, 11 at 11:38

I have long use soluble fertilizers in a 3:1:2 ratio for almost all my container plantings. Fertilizer RATIOS are different than their NPK %s. The ratio is much more important because the actual dosage is controlled by how much fertilizer you mix into the fertigation solution. 24-8-16, 12-4-8, and 9-3-6 are all examples of 3:1:2 RATIOS. I've settled on Foliage-Pro 9-3-6 as my 'go to' fertilizer for almost everything.

The link I left below should give a broader overview of the approach many of us take for container culture. If you have questions, you can ask here or there.

AL

Here is a link that might be useful: More about fertilizing containerized plants

o

I know what caused the low results on the tomatos. You need CAL+MAG. You uses fish ferts alaska? Did you use bloom and veg or just veg? that could be another prob. you need the 0-10-10 that the fish fert has in it to fruit. you need the cal for your tomatos they need a ton!Also add 20% perlite or more to your soil for pots.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 25, 11 at 15:00

Adding Ca beyond an adequate supply isn't going to help your plants take up additional Ca. Usually, problems associated with BER are physiological, rather than chemical.

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here