Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dragonfly717

I have so many questions :)

dragonfly717
10 years ago

And just not enough time and memory to ask them all. I will probably be posting a few over this weekend. If there is anyone out there who is available to answer, I would be so grateful.

I live in zone 10, SW Florida, and it is HOT and HUMID. the rains haven't started yet but we will get rain daily starting soon. I have been so blown away by the readings and teachings of Al. I was a Biology major in college and wish I had you as a teacher!

Most of my container plants are succulents (my newest love so I'm not experienced) and desert roses, some small palms, orchids etc. I'm looking into the gritty mix. Should the ratio of the mix change for my hot weather? Less granite? I have tracked down a 50lb bag of Turface and I bought some better gro orchid bark (small $5 bag) and a large reptibark bag ($25 eek). If I can use the cheaper, please let me know...:) I need to ride out to tractor supply to find the grit...UNLESS I can use perlite (I have two bags but Miracle Gro Perlite) I'm afraid I'll lose these plants once these rains start, but we also will have dry fall and winter where this year remained ridiculously hot.

Also, the biggest uncertainty is how to pot these plants? Keep existing soil and place in new mix? Methods to remove old soil without destroying the plants if it needs to be removed?

And lastly, I have several hanging baskets (coconut liners) that will have petunias (I scored about 400 for $5... Anyone need some!?). I already had purchased miracle gro potting mix. Can I amend this soil to improve my baskets?

I'm sure I will think of more questions along the day...I have a 13 month old and a 4 yr old so mommy brain is still in full effect.

Thank you in advance !

Best,

Jamie

Comments (3)