Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plants die when repotting in Al's Gritty

Posted by newbgardner2001 none (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 27, 14 at 10:37

I recently repotted about 6 marigolds and various herbs into my gritty mixture. Its been one week, 5 of the marigolds look completely dead, and about 1 of the 5 herb plants looks like it will make it.

I also repotted a peace lily a few months back and it completely died within 2 weeks (brown to black leaves).

I take the plants out of the soil, shake away the dirt, wash it of all dirt in a bucket, untangled the ball, then repotted in the gritty mix.

Where am i going wrong?? Is there a thread that has very specific details about the proper way to repot plants into gritty?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plants die when repotting in Al's Gritty

What were the ingredients you used, including any fertilizers and lime? How did you treat the plants after they were put into the mix? Were they in a sheltered area out of the sun? How often did you water? I have successfully used gritty mix for herbs, but I don't generally use it for plants that are not expected to last more than a year, like marigolds and most herbs, or those that grow fast and prefer moist conditions, like peace lilies.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here