Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rain and containers

Posted by dirtguy50 MO/6 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 14, 12 at 10:42

I didn't find much on this searching this forum so I hope it isn't beat to death somewhere. Curious how rain effects container gardening. I have homemade earthbox and 5 gal ones as well. Any issues to be aware of? Thanks everyone.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rain and containers

None that I know of. A lot of my containers are out in the rain. It's nice because I can generally forget about watering them until the hot part of summer. It's a lot like having plants outside in the ground, really.

I guess if you just put in new soil and the rain is hard, it might throw some out of the pot or wash a little of it away, but after a while that shouldn't happen because the plant will fill in and the soil will become firmer.

o

Too much rain has the potential to wash out nutrients, leaving your plants deficient. If you're using some type of mix with fertilizer in it, like Miracle Grow, you'd be ok, assuming you're still in the "feeds for up to 3 months" time frame. Otherwise, be careful about letting tha rain "water your plants", as the rain doesn't provide the nutrients that your plants need; that's your job.

Joe

o

Thanks Joe. My mix does have some fertilizer in it and I added a row of 10-10-10 around the top that doesn't get wet from the rain. Time will tell as this is my first experience with container gardening.

o

Peat based soils can get waterlogged in the rain. 5:1:1 drains well enough, but nutrients do wash out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here