Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plants for small pots - kitchen windowsill

Posted by emileeg DFW TX (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 30, 11 at 10:54

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right forum, but I figure this would be a good place to start :)

I have a very sunny south-facing window over my kitchen sink. I would like to put a few small plants there in pots, but I'm not sure what I can put in small pots! I'm thinking 4' terra cotta pots.

I don't really want to do herbs, as I have a large container herb garden on my patio. I'd really like to just add some pretty plants and possibly some color to that part of the kitchen.

I am not interested in cacti or succulents. And I see a lot of african violets in little pots, but they just don't appeal to me...

To clarify... I'm not sure exactly how a sunny window translates to plant sunniness. I say it's a very sunny window, but obviously full-sun plants require more intense light than they can get through a window... and I have no idea what would remain healthy in such a little container!

So... bottom line... would this be possible, or are tiny pots just like goldfish bowls (cute and aesthetically pleasing until the thing living in it dies because it doesn't have enough space)?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plants for small pots - kitchen windowsill

You can grow dill basil and parsley easy with very small pots even cilantro grow good,Also lettuce and most anything with out tapping roots.Here are my pic all iv grow for years and in selfwatering milk qt jugs very small but need alot of water I keep them in morning sun not to much sun very easy lettuce I have time with ants in it .And dont forget mint plants they also do great with alot of watering.
Angie

Here is my dill& parsley
Photobucket

Here is my cilantro
Photobucket

Here is my lettuce
Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here