Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flowers for afternoon sun?

Posted by doomahx 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 4, 13 at 10:55

HI!

Can anyone recommend any relatively easy to maintain colorful flowers that do ok in a container in hot afternoon sun in zone 7? Something that attracts pollinators/birds would be nice.

Last year my Marigolds seemed to do well and my geraniums did so-so but I can’t say the same for the petunias and pansies I had. They wilted pretty badly.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flowers for afternoon sun?

Here we bird lovers plant easy to grow Agastache. The hummers love the nectar and when they go to seed, it is fascinating to watch the Gold Finches land on the seed heads and pull out the seed one by one. Al

o

Those looks great! will look into those. Thanks

o

how about poppies? Nothing like bright orange happy blooms! :)

o

Bumble bees loved my Blue Boa agastache last year. I also grew a few different agastaches from seed but (sadly) the blooms didn't seem as large or as bright as the Blue Boa or other named cultivars I've seen. If anyone has been really happy with one grown from seed, I'd love to know.

Other things I've used are gaura lindheimeri (the short varieties, I think I have Crimson Butterflies) and dwarf Russian sage (perovskia atriplicifolia Little Spire). Autumn joy sedum is beautiful and very tough but also attracts hover flies so might not be good right next to a door.

Not a flower, but something that looks good with all of the above is Lamb's ear (stachys). It is very humid here but the variety Helen von Stein did wonderfully for me last year in both pots and the ground.

(I'm mostly a lurker but our house faces west so this topic is near to my heart :-) )

o

• Posted by noinwi Z8 Kitsap Peninsula (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 7, 13 at 15:20

Portulaca, Moss rose, is great for afternoon sun. Flowers are small, but vivid(most photos don't do them justice) and profuse. It just keeps on blooming all season. Looks good in a hanging pot, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: images of portulaca

o

Thanks for all of your suggestions! My wife fell in love with the blue boa agastache so that one is definitely going to make an appearance this summer. I may have room to try all of these though, we shall see!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here