Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need recs for Italian Cypress alternatives

Posted by snittybitty Northern California (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 12, 12 at 11:10

Hi, all.

My garden is being landscaped and, it's too long of a story, but I don't have much say in the design. We have a new planter box (without drainage to the ground, just in planter, but connected to drip irrigation). The proposal is for either Italian Cypress or Weeping Cypress on both ends (to frame a set of windows). NOT my style. Too manicured and stately. I'm more of a wisteria hanging over a window kind of girl or jasmine overgrowing a fence. Any suggestions for other kind of plants than the Cypress that have smaller root systems, require less water, and grow somewhat higher?

Thanks!
Inga

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need recs for Italian Cypress alternatives

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 12, 12 at 13:26

The size of the root system is governed in large part by the size of the top. A plant won't grow more roots than it needs to support the top, and CAN'T grow more top than the roots can support. ..... pretty much the same story on the ht, too - most plants will grow as tall as you let them, if you're able to keep them healthy ..... and no matter what gets planted, if it's perennial (trees and shrubs are perennials, too), it's going to require regular root work/maintenance, or it may as well be considered disposable.

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here