Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fiberglass in the garden

Posted by Fulkrum none (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 21, 11 at 11:30

I am kicking the idea around of making a wooden planter, and coating the inside with fiberglass. I am currious if anyone knows if fiberglass resin is safe as a planter material. The container im thinking of making will be a self watering container so the bottom half will be holding water. Does anyone have any info on if this is safe to do. My concerns are leeching from the fiberglass into the water resivoir. Any info would be apreciated.
Thanks in advance

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fiberglass in the garden

If you use an epoxy resin it will be much safer than polyester resin, but much more expensive.

As for leaching, I don't know for sure because I never did the research.

I would be very cautious because the resins are toxic, so please do your homework before you attempt this.

Ron

o

Fiberglass would work well for what you have in mind. If you are not experienced working with resins and fiberglass materials, find a good local source who specializes in the materials and can answer your questions. A final coat sometimes called a gelcoat will make it waterproof and can easily have color added. I have an old wheel barrow that rusted through more than ten years ago which I lined with green fiberglass and use everyday. It is especially good for mixing mortar or cement as it is slick and washes up so good. Al

o

Thanks for the replys.
I think ive decided to go the EPDM rubber route. I have some experience with fiberglass, but in the long run i think the EPDM will be easier to use. I'll be constructing the box itself sometime this week. Tentative dimensions are 6 feet long x 32 inches wide x 24 inches tall.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here