Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yvonne False Cypress

Posted by glad2garden 5, Chicopee, Mass (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 30, 10 at 11:31

Will an Yvonne False Cypress do well in a 20" container in full sun? It's about 4 feet tall. I'm wanting privacy on my patio. It's going in an area that's protected on the east and north. So the area faces south and has sun all day.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yvonne False Cypress

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 30, 10 at 15:20

I have grown at least 10 species of Chamaecyparis in containers of all sizes, and all have performed exceptionally well. I think it's a good choice as a container tree in general, but lawsoniana will need lots of winter protection in your zone. It NEEDS full sun for the best color. You might need to shade the container to keep soil temps down, too.

Al

o

Thank you Al. I potted up three of them to screen my patio and they look beautiful. Question: what sort of winter protection will I need to do?

o

Sun, May 2, 10 at 16:55

Over winter ...... container buried against the fondation on the north side of a heated building or just leave it rest on the floor of your garage, but don't forget & leave the o/h door open for extended periods when it's below 20*

Al

o

Al, should I bring them into the garage now? I didn't want to bring them in too early, but we are starting to get some cold weather now. Also, when can I bring them back out in the spring?

o

Tue, Dec 7, 10 at 16:36

Yes, it's about time to bring them in - mine are in the garage already. I put (most of) my temperate plants back on the benches when there is little danger of night temps dropping much below 27*. If lower temperatures are predicted (down to about 22*), I make sure they are setting directly on the ground, not on a deck or railing so they are isolated from the warmth of the earth. I try not to expose them to anything below 22*, even if they are on the ground.

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here