Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is a guide available for container size for vegetables?

Posted by vic01 z4MN (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 22, 11 at 11:40

Due to my worsening back problems and hubby's upcoming surgery, possibly chemo, we are doing entire garden in containers. We have grown peppers in containers for years. I wondered if there was a guide that tells what size container a specific plant needs such as winter squash,cucumbers dwarf varieties, Minnesota midget cantaloupes, etc? Most of our containers are 5 gallon or 3.75 gallons. I know peppers and tomatoes do best in 5 gal. We have waist high beds for the greeens, radishes, beets, carrots, small things. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Jackie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is a guide available for container size for vegetables?

What you might want to do is check out the square foot gardening forum. There are several types of squash, cuke and melon developed just for container gardening. A good resource for intensive gardening is the AZ master gardener's site. The spacing listed on the back of seed packets is based on allowing space for mechanical cultivating and should be ignored as a rule. I have good results from planting peas and beans spaced 3/4" apart. Read the section on the attached link in regards to interplanting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Intensive gardening

o
RE: Is a guide available for container size for vegetables?

I think most of your containers will be fine for the crops you've mentioned. Some people recommend larger containers for tomatoes, but many people use the 5-gallon buckets. You might want to try one of each and see which works best for you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here