Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
attracting bees

Posted by Rosslimited 6a (sueloc@aol.com) on
Sun, Apr 27, 14 at 12:01

How can I attract bees to 2 pots of blueberries on my balcony?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: attracting bees

Honey suckle, sunflowers, bee balm. Pretty much any flower will attract bees. Things like honey suckle and lilac are totally irresistable to flying insects. Also remember not only bees gather pollen. You've got moths, flies, all sorts of flying insects.

o

Here is a start....

One of the problems is honey bees are not very good at pollinating blueberries. Native bees are better. Bumble bees are better. Honey bees are from Europe, blueberries from North America. The flower is not built for honey bees to access. Unable to collect much if any pollen.

Here is a link that might be useful: Flowers for beneficial insects

This post was edited by Drew51 on Mon, Apr 28, 14 at 0:39

o

A shallow pan of water is a big attractant to bees, esp. if and when it is dry. Place stones or something like that, (I use the rough 'marbles' that are used in floral arranging), and fill the water so the bees can land and sip.

Linda

Beekeeper :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here