Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
511tomatoes, can I use tomato tone? (pic)

Posted by rakin 7b (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 8, 14 at 12:04

Okay, how are my tomatoes looking to you all? (Roma's and peppers on the right) I am using the 511 mix exactly per the original version with osmocote for my CRF. These are my first tomatoes, so I don't know if my excitement is warranted.
Anyway, I have a bag of TT that I would love to not waste. I know it is suppose to be for soil and not soilless medium, but is there a way to make it useful? Can I mix it with water similar to making a tea, and then use it? What if I top dress the toms with worm castings and mix the TT in with it. Will that allow it to break down?
I am about to move them to their final container! Yeah, I did it! ( well, so far...)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 511tomatoes, can I use tomato tone? (pic)

For sure, I use Espoma, Dr Earth and Jobe's with my 5-1-1 container plants and they seem to love it. The other beneficials will help the plants as well, not just the organic fertilizer. Just because the container mix doesn't have dirt doesn't mean it's not a hotbed for organic microbe activity. I've repotted some of my tomatoes and found huge mycorhizzae colonies in the 5-1-1 mix.

o

They look great. Go for it!

Josh

o

Okay. I guess the worst that can happen is nothing. But if you all have tried it and gotten results then I'll give it a go!

o

I have used Tomatotone with my tomatoes, eggplants and peppers for three seasons with 5-1-1 and think it works well. I used Osmocote in making the 5-1-1 and used Foliage pro alternating with TT through much of the season. The TT is especially useful when we have a lot of rain and I don't want to add extra water with fertilizer. Follow the package directions and scratch it into the surface. Don't try to dissolve it in water. It's not meant to be used that way.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here