Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
batyabeth

Probably asbestos containers

batyabeth
13 years ago

Lurker question here.....I got a call that someone had taken apart a huge garden in town, and all of the pots/containers were sitting on the street for the taking. I bit, and took home three huge, rectangular deep lovlies, giddy at my score. Call the next day from the same person - careful, they are asbestos.

I looked them over, no cracks, breaks, etc. I really need these as my garden is, well, challenged for space. I looked all over GW and the Web, could find no advice, so I'm asking you all: can I line them with plastic, or something, and use 'em anyway? Not for veggies, I already know, but for flowers? Yarrow (sometimes used medicinally here by crushing the leaves to stop bleeding)? Other pot herbs? What kind of lining? Thick plastic? Sailcloth or other thick cloth? Can I paint them with oil-based or primer or something?

I gotta start planting and need to know if these go back out to the street or if they can find some sorely needed use. Any ideas?

Peace, Batya

Comments (11)

• MojaveLove
    13 years ago

I personally would stay far away from asbestos. Bad news, not worth it in my opinion. Is asbestos even used in the US anymore? I don't even know!

• terrybull
    13 years ago

what if you painted them with dryloc. the stuff they use to seal basement walls.

• batyabeth
    Original Author
    13 years ago

One vote for chucking them, one for painting with dryloc.
    Check.

Any others? It's planting week here, Spring has sprung in earnest! Thanks.

• batyabeth
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bumping this question up, as I hope there might be more answers. I'm probably going to try the paint this week. Scrape them out, wash them down with a hose, let dry, paint, let dry again, fill with soil and plant flowers. Unless of course someone tells me I'm out of my mind.
    Peace, Batya

• ljpother
    13 years ago

If you scrape them be sure to wear a mask to filter any particles released by cleaning. Asbestos isn't a problem until you expose it.

• Beemee
    12 years ago

can any one tell me if I should be worried. I live in an apartment comples with asbestos in it since the building was erected in the early 70's. I went to the huge trash bin out back and some one had left a pile of trash bags outside since the trash bin was over its limit. I decided to throw the bags in the bin since the garbage had already been picked up. I noticed they had white dust on them and it completely freaked me out when the white dust blew up in the air when I moved the bag. Should I be worried about exposure to asbestos? There is also a huge tree on the other side of the wall that gives off alot of debree but the dust looked white in color. I have no idea what asbestos looks like or what color it is. I immediately came in and washed my hands and arms as well as legs since I was wearing shorts. I am seriously worried.

• Ohiofem 6a/5b Southwest Ohio
    12 years ago

Asbestos is heavily regulated in the US now. It is unlikely that the dust you saw was asbestos. It doesn't form noticeable dust unless old structures are being demolished, and you would be aware of that.

If you are concerned you might try calling the local health department EPA office.

• augiedog55
    12 years ago

As for limited exposure to absestos for a few minutes its not a big deal. If you get over 8 hrs exposure at once it could cause problems down the road (many yrs most of time it 30yr later). Some people it bothers and some it doesn't. I was an insulator local#27 absestos worker local # 27 kc mo.
    We have member that dies as young as 50 and guys that are still alive at 90.It has been outlawed for use snce 1978. There was a big push in the 90's and early 2000's to remove it from most buildings. Asbests used in siding and floor tile is no big deal until it become friable. Bottom line is don't drill or sand on it or you won't have a problem. But as for me why have anything asbestos around if you can get something out that asbestos free

• valmac004
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Don't even listen to any advice on scraping them down unless you are willing to risk developing mesothelioma at some point. You got suckered in. It costs serious money to abate and dispose of asbestos containing material. Whoever called you is not a friend and if he is in a business, he just saved himself a lot of money. Now that you know those pots have asbestos, you can't just throw them out and EPA can slap you with a hefty fine (in thousands of dollars). Wher pots too good to be true???? They always are.

• valmac004
    7 years ago

BTW asbestos was not "outlawed" in 1978. It is still used today in some construction material, and you can see it in many stores under generic names such as Crocidolite, Amosite, and Chrysotile. Guess what, your brakes and clutches still have asbestos. So do some vinyl tiles.