Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First post here - freezproof conatiners?

Posted by bill_ri_z6b (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 20, 12 at 12:07

I'm in New England - RI zone 6 - and it gets cold in winter! Does anyone know of a TRULY FREEZEPROOF (not "frostproof" as some are lableled) that can actually be left out in really cold (down to zero F - ground frozen solid, snow, ice, etc.) all winter, with the soil still inside? I know ceramics are out of the question, and most of the fiberglass I have tried are really junk, and don't even last well when I empty them. I use some ceramic planters that I empty and tip upside down in winter and they are fine, but I want some really large planters, and so that would be almost impossible to do with large ceramic ones......to empty them and lay on their sides or whatever.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First post here - freezproof conatiners?

Hyper tufa

o

Half whiskey barrels are on sale at our local home depot for $29. They hold about 27 gallons of potting mix. I have used one for vegetables for several years. You do have to add several drainage holes because the wood will swell when it gets wet. Mine has held up well for about five years. It probably would last a lot longer if you used some kind of sealant on it. You could paint the outside if you don't like the weathered wood look. I do change out at least half the soil mix each year. I have grown watermelon in it for the last few years. They did very well.

o

Ohiofem,
I have used one in the past, but they just don't fit the landscape anymore. I was really looking for something that looks more like stone or ceramic. The previous poster mentioned the hyper tufa, but I haven't found anywhere to buy large ones. I see smaller ones for sale, otherwise instructions on how to make your own which is impossible for me to do. Thanks for your suggestion though!

Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here