Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
potted blueberries with strawberries?

Posted by mrssims 6/7 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 8, 11 at 12:12

Hello everyone! I came here to check on my potted blueberry plant and its soil requirements and have gotten some great advice on lots of things just by reading. Thanks! I do have a quick question, though. My potted blueberry is in a very large pot made of some lightweight material. I am planning on getting one or 2 more tonight as it looks like I may need more than one to ensure pollination. I have a bunch of strawberry plants someone gave me....could I tuck them in the same planters as the blueberries? Has anyone ever done this before?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: potted blueberries with strawberries?

I'm sure you've already read this, but blueberries have particularly stringent pH requirements... much lower than most other crops and slightly lower than strawberries (though there's more room for error with strawberries).

Also, considering the way strawberries grow and spread, its probably not a great idea to combine then with a haphazard bush like most blueberries. They need plenty of sun as well, and won't like being shaded out by the blueberry bush.

o
RE: potted blueberries with strawberries?

Ah, I always forget about the shade issue in the early spring when things are not leafed out. Yeah, probably not a good idea!! Thank you!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here