Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sharonrossy

Pine bark fines help needed

sharonrossy
10 years ago

Hi Everyone, -
I know I have posted this several times, but I need feedback soon because in Montreal, supplies will go fast and its' not looking good for the pbf's. I'm just an amateur gardener and this is a first for me with this medium and I feel out of my depth in terms of what else I should be looking for or substituting.
Edweather, you mentioned to look for soil conditioner - but that is usually heavily peat moss from what I have seen here or else they list it as organic. And what would the texture be? Most of the bags are not transparent, so unless its a shredded mulch, I can't tell anything. You said to stay away from anything that says nuggets as well. I'm stumped.
Need some help from anyone. I know Al is away. I have been searching for pine bark fines in the Montreal area. Nothing. Here's what I have found so far:

1. Medium Pine bark - but the bag is not see thru so I cannot determine except by feel the size. They feel bigger than 1/2".
2. Cacoa shell mulch
3. Hemlock mulch
4. Pine bark nuggets (again not visible and I'm thinking this is what I need)
5. Cedar mulch
6. ProMix BX with Mycrorrizae - 75% peat, perlite, vermiculite and dolomitic and calcite limestone with mycorrizae.
7. Fafard has a container mix - Coconut fiber, peat moss,and biosol compost.

I would greatly appreciate any feedback or help here. As I said, the pine nuggets and medium bark were not visible unless I ripped open a bag, which I wasnt' willing to do.By feel the nuggets might be a good bet. The hemlock seemed better, again not sure. I will continue to search.

Thanks, Sharon - don't mean to be a pest, just an eager beaver! Guess that's appropriate seeing as I live in Canada(altho I'm from syracuse ny!)

Comments (2)